Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Third Reich Table Medal

Article about: Need your help with this one. Not sure about it. Here's some photo's. The table medal is close to about 2 1/4" around. It feels kinda heavy. It reads GROSSDEUTSCHLANDFLUG. WIEN 9 APRIL

Default Third Reich Table Medal

Need your help with this one. Not sure about it. Here's some photo's. The table medal is close to about 2 1/4" around. It feels kinda heavy. It reads GROSSDEUTSCHLANDFLUG. WIEN 9 APRIL with a date of 1938 on the front. And reads REICHS PROPAGANDA LEITUNG DER N.S.D.A.P. on the back with deshler munchen under the eagle on the back. What is this? ThanksThird Reich Table MedalThird Reich Table MedalThird Reich Table Medal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Table Medal
    P
    Many

?

Based on the porosity of the metal, it appears to be cast to me. In my opinion, it's probably not original for that reason.

I can't say that I have seen one before but overall I quite like it. It appears the pictures were taken with a flash yet the surface looks reality smooth and I can see no casting flaws - the detail is present and it appears to be well made. That saying I see on the last picture the side of the table looks to be in bad shape and it could either be through wear and tear or a casting flaw.

Nevertheless I would like to hear a second opinion on this table medal and perhaps some additional pictures if possible.

Thank you, Glen.

I actually like the detail...it appears to be a table-medal celebrating the '38 Anschluss with a nationwide flight of carrier-pigeons, a popular hobby in Germany, with clubs throughout the land...Deschler Munchen under the eagle, barely visible...I've seen carrier-pigeon-related awards before...trying to find them...

cheers, Glenn

?

I still believe it's likely cast, but the 'craggy' appearance of the edge could also be from poorly alloyed metal. In coin collecting, such an occurrence is known as a 'lamination' (or more accurately, 'delamination') error. However, I can't envision any scenario in which the 'crags' could have been created by normal wear without causing some distortion to the rest of the medal. Aside from the edge, the overall quality does look pretty good. The color is a bit dull, but that could be the result of improper cleaning or polishing. You could possibly try contacting someone else who owns an unquestioned one and ask them to weigh theirs on an accurate gram or grain scale and then do the same with yours for comparison.

?

Also, see if you can scratch the metal with your fingernail. The color is either caused by it being an inferior metal or by cleaning.

Edit: Please test on the edge!

Here's an example being offered by Germanwarbooty...
    For a propaganda-trinket I really wouldn't expect it to be made from particularly precious material...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich Table Medal   Third Reich Table Medal  

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Here's an example being offered by Germanwarbooty...
    For a propaganda-trinket I really wouldn't expect it to be made from particularly precious material...
    cheers, Glenn
    Well, I found one online (like the one in the original post), and it was described as silvered aluminum. I don't know if they were made in other compositions. That dull grey color can come from something like lead or from improper cleaning.

Is the medal you show above struck in zinc?

?

Here's one from an auction website:

Third Reich Table MedalThird Reich Table Medal

Germany (1933-1945) - Plaque of the : Lot 509

They all look original to me...Google Nazi Table Medals and you'll find them produced for everything from horsebreeding to bicycle-riding, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast