Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

wall eagle Opinion Please

Article about: This item is coming up at a local auction this weekend and is way out of my collecting knowledge but would like to own if it is possibly original. I will have a chance a view the item in per

Default wall eagle Opinion Please

This item is coming up at a local auction this weekend and is way out of my collecting knowledge but would like to own if it is possibly original. I will have a chance a view the item in person and am looking for some basics on what to look for. I have basic knowledge so looking for any key item that would stand out. My opinion based upon the pic is it has good detail (what can be seen on the front). My first question is there are two mounting holes? in the wings. I have not seen that in most examples. I am also assuming there were many makers since this was a very common item and should not be worth more than $150 IMHO. Thanks for taking the time to opine on very little info. I do not want to put too effort into something if, at first look, someone knows this is an obvious fake. The size claim is 28" X 16"

wall eagle Opinion Please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement wall eagle Opinion Please
    P
    Many

?

Hello Rescue190,

Read this thread here on the forum for all kinds of knowledge.

Thread: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/deuts...hsbahn-eagles/

The holes your seeing were drilled post war for maybe hanging by the vet or prior owner. These were taken off German Railway Cars at end of WWII. On the back you will normally find 3 posts and usually there were threaded rods for mounting. Sometimes cut or sheared off. You also find a stamped / molded in makers mark. Look here at this thread for much knowledge on those. There will also be material markings for content. Here is a link to one I have in my collection that had the holes drilled by prior owner. Deutsche Reichsbahn Railway Eagle - 27"

Depending on maker they varied slightly in size. Wim Saris wrote a great book as well on these Birds with great photo graphic evidence and many hours of research. Many other guys are versed as well in helping you. Learn as much as you can before the auction. Snap many pictures early before auction and post pictures here of front and back. Hopefully many members will be able to help prior to bidding. $150.00 is cheap. These go for $800 to $1300+ depending on condition and rarity. From your picture I am not willing to say one way or another if it is real. It stands a chance but more detailed pics are needed. Maybe someone else can tell you more from this photo but I cannot. Good luck & hope this helps you. It would truly be a nice collection piece if the real deal and you can get for a good price. They were normally aluminum by the way.
    Last edited by Rossi; 07-08-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thank you Rossi! That is the info I was unable to find in detail. Much appreciated.
    John

I went and looked at it this afternoon. Based on all of the info in the link and subsequent links Rossi provided, it is a reproduction. I naively thought figuring this out would have been easier than it was. Once again it proves the old phrase "if something looks or seems easy; you just do not know enough about it." Thanks again for taking the time to lead me in the correct direction and save me the angst of posting a reproduction piece that I paid good money for.
    John

?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    I went and looked at it this afternoon. Based on all of the info in the link and subsequent links Rossi provided, it is a reproduction. I naively thought figuring this out would have been easier than it was. Once again it proves the old phrase "if something looks or seems easy; you just do not know enough about it." Thanks again for taking the time to lead me in the correct direction and save me the angst of posting a reproduction piece that I paid good money for.
    John
    Glad you were able to check it out John in person. Too bad it was not a real bird. Happy to help and it is what we do for each other. Cheers!!!

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com