Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Wellner Serving Tray w/ A.H. and Eagle

Article about: Hello to everyone. I'm looking for information on a silver tray made by Wellner. This item was given to me by a friend. I have found the identical tray for sale on another web site, but that

RedStar
    ?

Default Wellner Serving Tray w/ A.H. and Eagle

Hello to everyone. I'm looking for information on a silver tray made by Wellner. This item was given to me by a friend. I have found the identical tray for sale on another web site, but that in no way assures me it's authentic.

The tray is 15 3/4 across. On the upper egde on the front, it has been roll stamped with the Eagle and the A.H. initials. The reverse side includes the WELLNER 67 maker mark stamp and the serial number on the edge. There's also a Upper Case "H" stamped on the backside rim.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wellner Serving Tray w/ A.H. and Eagle   Wellner Serving Tray w/ A.H. and Eagle  

Wellner Serving Tray w/ A.H. and Eagle   Wellner Serving Tray w/ A.H. and Eagle  

2. # ADS

Welcome to WRF , I think your referring to Snyders treasure , run now and dont stop!

your item looks alot like one of his creations .

RedStar
    ?

Yes, you would be correct. Snyder's website has the same tray. However, there's many other sources online that discuss Wellner silver that was manufactured for specifically for the Third Reich and this tray along with it's markings seem to be correct. Regardless of Snyder's reputation, it would be difficult to accept that every item on his web site is a fake and that all other identical pieces in the market place would be as well. While I thank you for your opinion, guilty by association isn't too convincing.

With these pieces as often seen is a genuine tray with added engravings for this reason I stay away from silverware , await other comments re authenticity .

These pieces are discussed and illustrated in Dr. Mark D. Griffith's book :"Collector's Guide to Liberated Adolph Hitler Memorabilia". Unfortunately, for what it's worth, the book is Co-Authored by...yep...Charlie Snyder. And, for me, that is the poison apple in the barrel. I would avoid these Wellner pieces on the strength of that alone.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    These pieces are discussed and illustrated in Dr. Mark D. Griffith's book :"Collector's Guide to Liberated Adolph Hitler Memorabilia". Unfortunately, for what it's worth, the book is Co-Authored by...yep...Charlie Snyder. And, for me, that is the poison apple in the barrel. I would avoid these Wellner pieces on the strength of that alone.
    I get Snyder has a bad rep, but if we try to say that every piece in books he authored or worked on is suspect, that means the formal/informal Hitler silver is junk too, and we know that's not the case.

Many Wellner pieces (and other items) are documented independently of Snyder from veterans that brought them back as war booty/bounty from a number of sellers on the internet....even as Snyder sold many suspect or outright fake items, it also has to be acknowledged that this was NOT the case for every item he documented or sold.