Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Wittmann Tiger Normandie.

Article about: Always been interested in the Tank battles around Caen in France. Especially those with the 101 Schwere SS Panzers. The famous picture of Wittmanns destroyed turretless Tiger has always fasc

My Grandfather was 71st Anti-Tank Regiment, 53rd Welsh, apparently they saw some action in Normandy

He died when I was quite young unfortunately, I didn't really have a chance to talk to him about his experiences.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wittmann Tiger Normandie.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    By coincidence, the latest issue ( #35 ) of Heimdal's Normandie 1944 Magazine just dropped through the letterbox. It includes an article about anti-tank action at Rauray and, although not connected with the subject of this thread, includes the following title image from a British propaganda film which is held at the IWM.

Attachment 1412666

It's just an image I hadn't seen before & thought it might add to the subject. ( Plus it's another excuse to plug Normandie 1944 which I look forward to every other month.... )
    Looks interesting , haven't seen that before either is the A/T action about 73 AT Regiment ? I usually pick up my Normandie 44 issues when i visit Saumur Tank Museum ( Guides discount ) but maybe not this year ....
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    My Grandfather was 71st Anti-Tank Regiment, 53rd Welsh, apparently they saw some action in Normandy

He died when I was quite young unfortunately, I didn't really have a chance to talk to him about his experiences.
    The RA AT Regiments bore a heavy burden stopping the Panzers in Normandy .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Arrow

The article is 36 pages long - the a/t action seems to consist mainly of contact between SS Panzer Regiment 9 'Hohenstaufen' and 70th Bde & 44th Bde 49th & 15th Inf Divns. The article has plenty of the photos and illustrations which I enjoy a lot in Heimdal's publications.

( Oh ! I've just realsied that it's writen by none other than the redoubtable Frederic Deprun ! )

Some great replies chaps, many thanks for the updated references regarding the V-B book..

Which I have.. but I can't find it

And yes, I wish they would translate it for all of us too

I have a 12 SS Div Panzer Wrap to go with Wittmans Tiger

Really pleasant thread to read this was and one that I learnt a hell of a lot from. Even though there were people with opposing views on the Wittmann debate, it was all very respectful and kind. Top stuff Gents

A great article in the "After the Battle" magazine number 48, entitled "Michael Wittmann's Last Battle" clearly shows Wittmann's service pistol (page 52).

ISSUE No. 48

Well worth a read.. buy it!

Could the heat of the explosion leave that pistol, in this condition?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wittmann Tiger Normandie.  

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Could the heat of the explosion leave that pistol, in this condition?
    Without doubt.

The "flash" is what would do it and the pistol was likely in a leather holster which accounts for most of the grip plate being protected. Also the precise location inside the vehicle versus the seat of the conflagration. Something that had solid metal eg the breech of the gun etc between it and the direction from which the force came could be virtually untouched so this is perfectly feasible.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very interesting Mark, but it was attached to Wittmann when buried, so who got him out the tank?

It must have burned for hours and possibly he was blown out of the turret?

Look how fast a Panther goes up after being hit, never mind exploding..

https://anicursor.com/youtube.html

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast