Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Wittmann Tiger Normandie.

Article about: Always been interested in the Tank battles around Caen in France. Especially those with the 101 Schwere SS Panzers. The famous picture of Wittmanns destroyed turretless Tiger has always fasc

I know this thread is related to Whittmann...I am tired of the hero worship he receives generally

RIP Joe Ekins, you did a mighty fine job. I agree completely with his sentiments at the end of the Norm Christie documentary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wittmann Tiger Normandie.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wittmann Tiger Normandie.
    P
    Many

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    I know this thread is related to Whittmann...I am tired of the hero worship he receives generally

RIP Joe Ekins, you did a mighty fine job. I agree completely with his sentiments at the end of the Norm Christie documentary
    I don't think anyone here exactly "worships" him. Wittmann was a human being and his deeds are interesting to say the least. Please don't turn this into some goodies vs baddies argument.

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    I don't think anyone here exactly "worships" him. Wittmann was a human being and his deeds are interesting to say the least. Please don't turn this into some goodies vs baddies argument.
    I am not and was not intending to, I also was not referring to members here

I just thought it was time for Joe to get some credit he deserves whether it was him or not who took out Wittmann's Tiger

( just read that again, good proper English there ! haha )

?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Joe Ekins said he saw the Turret explode after his second shot.. that would be one hell of a sight.

Wittmanns Tiger did indeed explode after the ammunition went up.

But, Wittmanns Turret was already dislodged at this point.

Ekins clearly remembers the Turret exploding, when the other Tigers were hit, why did he remember this particular one explode?

So, if Ekins memory is correct (?) and he did see a Tiger explode, and it wasn't Wittmanns???

All three Tigers would at least possibly be on fire (?), with lots of smoke.

One more than the other two. Wttmanns.

One Tiger did have it's tracks damaged and was seen going around in circles trying to escape.. before it was destroyed.

The point is, Wittmanns Tiger was disabled, as we know, before it went bang.

I just think the sequence of events may be different from what we now know.

Could Wittmanns Tiger have been hit earlier on and stopped, with Ekins firing his second shot just as 007 blew up?

I've always been interested in this topic and thanks for all who have contributed

Maybe one day another picture might surface, helping with this fascinating moment in history.

Keep the comments coming
    As i say all the Allied accounts of the Battle including Joe Ekins came from a period between 50-70 years after the Battle , details have faded or become fuzzy due to the passage of time which may lead to inaccuracies in the actual detail of the accounts although the explosion itself would be something that would stay in the memory . That's why in many ways the German accounts from the time in 1944 are so relevant to events on that day and are very much together from the War Diary the only primary source evidence that we are ever likely to have .

To my knowledge there is now only one survivor of that action Rolf von Westernhagen ( unless he has now passed away ) yet none of the documentary makers to my knowledge seem to have contacted him for the only account from the German side still available .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

This is what I believe (possibly) Joe Ekins saw, again, indeed at a greater distance, a similar huge ammunition explosion.

Would a Tiger, exploding, be as eye catching as this?

With all the HE/AP rounds and fuel inside, and although further away, surely it would be?

I always wanted to have a pint with Mr. Ekins, shake his hand, and say thanks.

Just to sit and listen to a fine brave man, who took part in one of my most interesting episodes of the Normandy Campaign.

Included is my picture of Joe Ekins, RIP mate.

It's had me fascinated since my first Airfix 1/72 kit Tiger, that I made all those years ago..

This picture was taken on June 26 1944, by THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE NORMANDY CAMPAIGN 1944.

An ammunition lorry of 11th Armoured Division explodes after being hit by mortar fire during Operation 'Epsom'.

Taken by Sergeant Laing No 5 Army Film & Photographic Unit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wittmann Tiger Normandie.   Wittmann Tiger Normandie.  

Wittmann's formation of Tigers were attacked at the beginning of their offensive I believe ?

They then would have been fully loaded with fuel and ammunition I assume.

Although a BefehlsTiger didn't carry as much ammunition as a "normal" Tiger, it still would have been carry quite a lot of ordnance.

BefehlsTiger at Kubinka:

Tiger Tank Ausf E Befehlstiger command tank is at the Russian Tank Museum Kubinka

Scroll down to see a colour diorama of Tiger 007!!

Mid Produktion Tiger I (Armortek 1/6) [DONE] - Pagina 2

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Wittmann's formation of Tigers were attacked at the beginning of their offensive I believe ?

They then would have been fully loaded with fuel and ammunition I assume.
    Yes mate the Tigers had been resupplied with ammo and fuel prior to the attack , Wittmann had taken over 007 as it was the Befehl Panzer of the Abt Commander . Wittmann had taken over this Tank as the Abt Commander Hein von Westernhagen had been suffering from a previous wound and had left the front and command of the Abt had passed to Wittmann with Bubi Wendorff taking over 2 Kompanie
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    This is what I believe (possibly) Joe Ekins saw, again, indeed at a greater distance, a similar huge ammunition explosion.

Would a Tiger, exploding, be as eye catching as this?

With all the HE/AP rounds and fuel inside, and although further away, surely it would be?

I always wanted to have a pint with Mr. Ekins, shake his hand, and say thanks.

Just to sit and listen to a fine brave man, who took part in one of my most interesting episodes of the Normandy Campaign.

Included is my picture of Joe Ekins, RIP mate.

It's had me fascinated since my first Airfix 1/72 kit Tiger, that I made all those years ago..

This picture was taken on June 26 1944, by THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE NORMANDY CAMPAIGN 1944.

An ammunition lorry of 11th Armoured Division explodes after being hit by mortar fire during Operation 'Epsom'.

Taken by Sergeant Laing No 5 Army Film & Photographic Unit.
    Good point mate , Joe Ekins and the Sherman crews who took on the Tigers that day are very much the heroic figures in what happened

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Good point mate , Joe Ekins and the Sherman crews who took on the Tigers that day are very much the heroic figures in what happened
    Brave men indeed to take on a group of Tigers despite the 17 Pdr's !!!

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast