Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Wittmann Tiger Normandie.

Article about: Always been interested in the Tank battles around Caen in France. Especially those with the 101 Schwere SS Panzers. The famous picture of Wittmanns destroyed turretless Tiger has always fasc

Lightbulb

Quote by Paul D View Post
    ..... does it actually bring any new evidence to the table ?
    I have a copy of the magazine - the article is written by Brian A Reid and is basically a slightly amended update of Appendix E from his book 'No Holding Back - Operation Totalize August 1944'. So there's no sensational new evidence and one has to keep in mind that Lt-Col Reid is Canadian

Personally I respect his analysis into which a lot of research has gone - it's a better-than-usual BaW article, IMPO. I enjoy reading all the different theories and prefer to leave it that, unless I can go back in a time-machine to view the battle in slow motion, I'll never know for sure. Wittmann died in armoured battle, and that's enough for me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wittmann Tiger Normandie.
    P
    Many

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Three Brummbars were knocked out in the same area as Wittmanns Tiger , some Brummbar relics are now in the Overlord Museum.
    And given that I think there were only 12 or so in the whole Normandie battle that's a lot of scrap iron!

I always thought Brummbars were mini Sturm Tigers..

?

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I have a copy of the magazine - the article is written by Brian A Reid and is basically a slightly amended update of Appendix E from his book 'No Holding Back - Operation Totalize August 1944'. So there's no sensational new evidence and one has to keep in mind that Lt-Col Reid is Canadian

Personally I respect his analysis into which a lot of research has gone - it's a better-than-usual BaW article, IMPO. I enjoy reading all the different theories and prefer to leave it that, unless I can go back in a time-machine to view the battle in slow motion, I'll never know for sure. Wittmann died in armoured battle, and that's enough for me.
    Thanks Martin
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Take a look at this Russian tank exploding, could anybody possibly escape this?

If Wittmann was in his Tiger when it blew up, surely his service pistol would have been incinerated , especially with live ammunition.

So, I firmly believe that Wittmann (with help?) was outside of the Panzer at the time of the explosion.

Just type in "Wittmann Pistol" to see it on the "images" page, it's from a picture by ATB magazine, Number 48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dus9BEdzdI

?

Hoflinger who saw Wittmanns Tiger with the turret off to the right and who moved back past 007 doesn't mention anything about anyone outside the Tiger
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Take a look at this Russian tank exploding, could anybody possibly escape this?

If Wittmann was in his Tiger when it blew up, surely his service pistol would have been incinerated , especially with live ammunition.

So, I firmly believe that Wittmann (with help?) was outside of the Panzer at the time of the explosion.

Just type in "Wittmann Pistol" to see it on the "images" page, it's from a picture by ATB magazine, Number 48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dus9BEdzdI
    Given that his Tiger was under attack I very much doubt he would have been outside but buttoned up tight and directing his crew. The pistol would have been in his holster and possibly even beneath his thick panzer jacke, so it would have survived and was recovered as shown.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Given that his Tiger was under attack I very much doubt he would have been outside but buttoned up tight and directing his crew. The pistol would have been in his holster and possibly even beneath his thick panzer jacke, so it would have survived and was recovered as shown.
    I agree, but what was the time span from the turret being dislodged, to it actually exploding?

Was there enough time to get Wittmann out of the turret, but his injuries were obviously beyong help?

The heat inside that Tiger, once it went bang..

I doubt any one would have been able to get any where near it, never mind get inside.

The Tiger must have smoked for days after the battle.

So, possibly, was he was helped out of the tank after the first hits, and then it exploded.

I suppose we will never know.
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 05-18-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Anybody inside a tank, when an explosion and build up of pressure was enough to blow the turret off would not have survived....

The hatches would have been closed, hence the turret being blown off ?...

It doesn't bear thinking about, it would have been a inferno inside that tank, and I'm quite sure every thing inside would have melted..

Surely it couldn't be... but..

I "found" this picture, of the Caen-Falaise Road, August 1944:

https://legionmagazine.com/en/wp-con...3/02/Copp2.jpg

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast