Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?

Article about: Hi all! I am addressing the forum experts regarding the following: My father used to be a soviet military. In 90-s he was sent to Poland (USSR used to have quaters there). My mother worked a

Siberia
    ?

Default Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?

Hi all!
    I am addressing the forum experts regarding the following:
    My father used to be a soviet military. In 90-s he was sent to Poland (USSR used to have quaters there). My mother worked as a librarian in a local library for soldiers and their families.
    It happened so that the library was situated in a former SS quater and Germans left some decorations and furniture behind, which we took, as nobody cared about it. Like this one:
    Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?
    Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?
    Basically it is a big carved wooden panel around 1 m high. There are 3 of them altogether. I still have it and have no idea what to do with it.
    Does anybody know what can its origin and value be?
    Thank you in advance!

2. # ADS

An interesting bit of carving, but, unfortunately, aside from the verbal story, there is no actual evidence connecting this to the SS or even anything German. I also find it unusual that with an SS quarter's wood carving, no one would would have noticed that the Star above the eagle head of the boat's prow is very recognizably a Jewish star? What designs do the other 2 panels have on them?

Personally, I do like it,however. I have always had a liking for wood carvings and the like and this piece is done by a pretty competent and not unskilled carver.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's a nice piece of panel carving, I suspect it predates the SS, the boat looks somewhat Nordic in a fantasy sort of way. I would think 1920's and yes collectable to someone.

very nice,its not a jewish star there are several of them,just stars.

It may have Nordic origins and relate to Norse mythology so a possible SS connection ?...........

EDIT: More I look at it, the less it seems Nordic

Nice piece of art. Do You have also pictures of the other items (furniture) from the same place?

Hmmmm.....Merely a coincidence???

Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?Wood Panel from Polish SS -valuable or not?

You need to work with me on this one.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hmm,Cant see the Nordic connection with this panel,neither in symbolism nor style. Looks more mediterranean or Middle Eastern to me.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Quote by inka View Post
    Hmm,Cant see the Nordic connection with this panel,neither in symbolism nor style. Looks more mediterranean or Middle Eastern to me.
    I concur

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    very nice,its not a jewish star there are several of them,just stars.
    Perhaps not "just stars" but a naive representation of the North Star, an important datum to any ships navigation???

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast