MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wrought iron candleholder - SS cultural item or just a fake?

Article about: I know that many collectors do not belive in "SS cultural items" and think these items are mostly fakes or just ordinary folk art items what have nothing to do with III Reich. What

Default Wrought iron candleholder - SS cultural item or just a fake?

I know that many collectors do not belive in "SS cultural items" and think these items are mostly fakes or just ordinary folk art items what have nothing to do with III Reich. What do You think about this wrought iron candleholder? It is more than 60 cm tall and the diameter of the candle plate is 18 cm so quite a massiv work. As You can see, it is decorated with Hagal-rune symbols. Is it just another piece of junk or coulb be the real deal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wrought iron candleholder - SS cultural item or just a fake?
    P
    Many

A nice piece of wrought-iron metalwork. But it could have been made last week, last year - or 80 years ago!

CBH
    ?

There are no Ruins on this item , simply decorative tooling .

I'd expect an item with an SS pedigree to be marked in some way .

This style of item has been produced for the last 500 years give or take .

I would have to agree. A Very nice wrought iron candle holder-the workmanship is Very good quality, but no visible connection to the SS or the war at all, that I can see. Could have been made anywhere and at any time. But I do like it. I would imagine that it was likely once one of a pair.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Agreed. I see no hints for an SS connection.

Quote by CBH View Post
    There are no Ruins on this item , simply decorative tooling .

I'd expect an item with an SS pedigree to be marked in some way .

This style of item has been produced for the last 500 years give or take .
    Take a closer look and you will see many Hagal runes on the stem of the candleholder. It looks period to me.

CBH
    ?

Well I can't say I know much about TR Ironware , but I'd think the bureaucracy involved there more definite makers mark .

And the thing about Ruin is they started as a caved alphabet , so strait lines , intersecting .

Hagal runes? Perhaps...but they could just as easily be stars or snowflakes also. I own a good number of 19th century iron pieces, and it is no easy task to assign a date to them. If some did not have maker's marks or certain styles to them known to be from various makers, they would just be anonymous iron. If this piece were SS, I would expect to see more than just a single kind of rune. The Honor Rings, for example, are circled in various rune types. The SS didn't even think it fit to festoon their Jule Leuchters with any runes, despite their attempting to recapture an old and ancient Germanic tradition. Runes have been used for ornamentation for centuries-far beyond the days they actually made sense when looked at, and especially so in the Nordic lands. I, personally, wouldn't mind having a piece like the one posted but there is no way that I would purchase it for an added wartime or SS premium.

(The coppery bronze bolts hint to me, at least, a more modern birth date)
    Last edited by Wagriff; 02-21-2017 at 04:07 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for Your opinions! The seller does not claim it is a III Reich item and the price is even very fair. As the seller is also from Germany there still is a possibility that the item may be genuine. So I just bought it:-). When it arrives, I can post more detailed pictures.

CBH
    ?

As long as it's not sold as a TR or SS candle holder . It's a nice looking Gothic-Revival candle stick .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast