Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade

Article about: Hello, Probably the wrong section (or wrong forum!) but I thought I'd post some pictures of a sword I was given two years ago. The sword was given to me by a friend who stated that it had be

Default 1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade

Hello, Probably the wrong section (or wrong forum!) but I thought I'd post some pictures of a sword I was given two years ago. The sword was given to me by a friend who stated that it had been in their family but they had no history of where it came from or who it belonged to. It had been gathering dust / rust in the attic and they had no interest in it so they kindly gave it to me.
    Having done a bit of internet research I believe it to be a 1853 Pattern Light Cavalry Sabre which was introduced just prior to the Crimean War, this pattern sword was carried by about half of the troopers who participated in the famous Charge of the Light Brigade. This sword continued to be used by some British light cavalry regiments into the 1870s and a large number were sold to the Confederate states during the American Civil War and saw extensive service.
    I don't know if there are any sword collectors out there who could maybe give me a bit more info from the markings on the sword?
    There is a motif on one side of the top of the blade which I cannot decipher and on the oppisite is a '7' with what appears to be a crown over the top. On the back of the blade is an 'L'. On the outside of the guard near the handle it has an 'F' and on the inside it has (what appears to be):

______
    Y
    M X
    ______

I've also added some pictures of a great scrap book that I picked up in an antique shop some years ago. The scrap book covers the whole of the Crimean war (and a bit beyond) as reported by the London Ilustrated News at the time. Every page is full and shows some great images included the release on the 'new order of valour', the Victoria Cross (showing the blue ribbon for Navy and the maroon for army)

Default Re: 1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade

Y M X = Middlesex Yeomanry - presumably re-issued to them after withdrawal from front line regiment.

Default Re: 1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade

Many thanks

The pictures I deleted!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade   1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade  

1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade   1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade  

1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade   1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade  

1853 pattern Light Cavalry Sabre - Crimean War, Charge of the Light Brigade