Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Australian Hand-Embroiderd Cover - Palestine 1940

Article about: Hello Everyone, Popped into a antique shop during the week, was shown this, what I take for a small hand-embroidered table cloth from a Australian soldier based in Palestine 1940, measures a

?

Default Australian Hand-Embroiderd Cover - Palestine 1940

Hello Everyone,
    Popped into a antique shop during the week, was shown this, what I take for a small hand-embroidered table cloth from a Australian soldier based in Palestine 1940, measures about 45 cm sq. Reads -
    2/2 Field Regt.
    Australiancommonwealth
    (Cant Read)
    Forever
    To Marion
    and
    George
    From Arthur
    Palestine 1940

At the time I didn't have a great deal of interest in it, just knocked off a couple of quick pictures, which you see. With hindsight it could be worth something. What do members think? not often that one comes across a item connected with Australian troops in Palestine 1940. Any information welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Hand-Embroiderd Cover - Palestine 1940   Australian Hand-Embroiderd Cover - Palestine 1940  

Default Re: Australian Hand-Embroiderd Cover - Palestine 1940

Hi Alec, I wonder if it actually reads "Australian Commonwealth Military Forces". This would make sense as it copies the Aussie cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Hand-Embroiderd Cover - Palestine 1940  

?

Hello Ade,
    Yes, I think your right, could well be Military Forces. Would you happen to know if this unit 2/2 Field Regt. saw action during 39 / 45 war or were they based the whole time in Palestine ? Thanks for your reply.
    Regards

Hi Alec, they saw lots of action as part of the 6th Div.

6th Division in WW2

Cheers, Ade.

Hello-as part of the 6th division 2nd AIF, the 2/2 Field regiment was active throughout the war in the North African/Middle East, Greece/Crete and New Guinea campaigns.

?

In the USA pillow cases were made in this size with fringe but usually with a design printed on it for Aircorp, infantry, artillery, airborne, etc., etc. Sometimes with mother, sister etc and also military bases. They were popular souvineers during the war and are collectable today.
    Being hand embroidered yours is a very nice one.
    Steve

AIF
    ?

Hi mate, these things arent quite as rare as you would think I think pretty much every Australian soldier who served in Africa sent these home, I have 3 or 4 different ones in my collection as well as hankerchiefs and other items