Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Basement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo Box

Article about: Hi Guys, Found this British Ammo Box which is metal lined (Fantastic Box, Great Condition, Nice Paint and Paper Tags). Definitely stenciled NAVAL on the side. I can’t find any info of this t

Default Basement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo Box

Hi Guys,
    Found this British Ammo Box which is metal lined (Fantastic Box, Great Condition, Nice Paint and Paper Tags).
    Definitely stenciled NAVAL on the side.
    I can’t find any info of this type of box being used in WW2 but it is dated 1940, It appears these very common in the Boar Wars?

Help

Many Thanks as always

Bill

Basement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo BoxBasement Find British Boar War WW2 Mark Vll Ammo Box

Interesting box. Covered in intriguing marks. But surely not just a .303 ammunition box for the construction is far too robust for that. Could it have held fuses, detonators or explosives originally ?

Hi,
    I just found this thread whilst grazing the site.

The box is a standard .303in Ball Mk VII box, (for the MkVII cordite filled not the MkVII Nitrocellulose filled). It is a 1940 dated box with 360 Rounds in 5 round chargers in cardboard box inners, the greem square with 3 bars behind the model number indicate charger, (4 Chargers to a box). The ammunition was manufactured by Greenwood and Batley in Leeds England on the 19th Dec 1940 probably in the afternoon. No I'm not being facetious. The Suffix A after the year indicates that on that date a major component was changed during manufacture so this box was later in the date than a 19.12.40 batch. The other date on the box BP 13.9.43 is an inspection make when the box was opened and inspected by technical personnel to determine the condition of the contents.

The 6X is the GEG (Government Explosive Group) which denotes what the hazard the contents present in case of an accident or fire. 6X is now 1.4S which indicates that the contents pose a moderate fire hazard but will not add appreciably to any incident or fire.

Yes the N indicates Naval use and that is why this box was used. Normally 1248 are contained in a H13 box, (very similar but bigger). The tin plate box is a STO or Sealed Tear Off container that completely waterproofs the contents. This is very important for Naval ammunition as sea water is not good for any ammunition.

Did it contain Fuzes, (With a Z please) detonators or Explosives? NO. This box has no previous markings so was always .303in Ball. Hope this was helpful. Oh, and before being accused of being really sad, I've just finished teaching WW1, WW2, Post war and post NATO markings to my troops for UK, US and German and Soviet which is why I can do identification from a standpoint of strength.