Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bits and Pieces

Article about: Hey, Found this american medical tin amongst some car spares at a local auto jumble, I was wondering what is the best way to restore it please... ?... Dimas! Also found a pair of British arm

sam
    ?

Default Bits and Pieces

Hey,

Found this american medical tin amongst some car spares at a local auto jumble, I was wondering what is the best way to restore it please... ?... Dimas!

Also found a pair of British army binoculars and a USAAF thermos flask, I have cleaned these other two items with success but im not sure how to deal with rusty metal.

I was wondering if the resident expert Dimas could enlighten me on how to use 'Oxalic acid' to best effect! But all other suggestions would be welcomed

I have other war time metal objects that would also benefit from this treatment but I dont want to get it wrong and ruin them so I thought it best to ask!!

As found. ^

With some cleaning. ^

As found. ^

With some cleaning. ^

Cheers,

Sam.

?

Default Re: Bits and Pieces

So, please take the can in approx 10 liters, mix 40 grad C water with approx 250 gramm Oxalic acid, put the box for approx 30 minutes to that mix, take the spounge for the cleaning disches and use abrasive povder for cleaning dishes ( Ajax or something like that) and clean, after dry with clean water, repeat process till that takes effect.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

After all of that I will say you that the box will be like a new
    Regards,
    Dimas

sam
    ?

Thanks

I'll post you a picture once i have tried it!

?

Do not wash the paper tag with sponge, just leave it in acid
    Regards,
    Dimas

sam
    ?

Is it adviseable to steam the paper tag off first then re-stick it on afterwards with glue?

Don't even think about trying to take off the paper label.

This type of vehicle first aid box was located under the dash board of later production WW2 Jeeps.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Absolutely do'nt care about the label, the acid don't eat the paper
    Regards,
    Dimas

sam
    ?

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will try to waterproof the label and only submerge bits of the tin at a time.. it will take longer but I will save the label.

DmanofLV
    ?

If you are going to restore your first aid kit, it would be advisable to test any cleaning solutions on similar materials other than the original artifact such as an old rusted metal object that has a painted finish. It is usually best to leave artifacts unrestored as most of the time, messing with them can become a disaster if you are in the learning process of restoration. The best thing to think about is preservation and prevent the object from deteriorating further. Whatever you do, don't open the Ammonia inhalants to see if they are still working good. They may cause damage to your mucus membranes especially when mixed with other chemicals you are cleaning with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast