Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?

Article about: Where are these boot fairs that you are going to? Round this area we get stuff like non-working tv's wraped in plastic to make them look new at boot fairs!

Default Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?

Hi all

I can't believe the luck I am having at the carboot just recently. I normally get 3 decent finds in a year but I am already on 4 finds and the season has only just started !!

A nice mix today but also slightly frustrating.

About 3 years ago I bought a book from an antique fair called 'The Sixth year of the War in pictures'. A lovely old book published so close to the war that it was still full of the old British propaganda. I have kept the book safe and hoped one day to find the other five to go with it.

Walking along the carboot, scanning for WW2 stuff like I always do, a familiar sight caught my eye. The same red leather bound cover as the book I bought 3 years ago....... and he had all six !!!!
    Excitedly I asked him how much the books were, to be told '50p each mate'. I nearly fell over and went to pick up the five volumes I was missing. BUT WAIT !!! HE HAD TWO 'Third year of the war' !!!!! So I ended up with the first, third, fourth and fifth years to go with the one I already had. Now I am missing the second year ! DAMMIT !

Still. A good find at £2 for all 4.

Three aisles up a familiar looking box caught my eye and sure enough.....a modern ammo tin, circa 1980. I was mildly interested but had no intention of buying it. The guy saw me and said 'Like that kind of thing do you ? Got another one in the boot bigger than that one just couldn't be bothered to lift it down'...... I asked If I could take a look. There in the back of his car was a much bigger ammo box, metal with familiar paint. The top was very dirty but I could just make out the '1945' on the lid. I asked him how much. 'I just want rid of it to be honest. Give me a couple of quid'. Not wanting to miss out on the box I only haggled a little........and paid my £1.50 and struggled back to the car.

Now, all I need is someone to save me the time and effort of trawling through the web trying to determine what it used to carry. Pictures below show the tin and insides, and the stamp on top AFTER I had given it a blast with the pressure washer and a good scrub with a brillo pad

So, £3.50 spent.

Not bad.

Might have to take this up as a profession

Hope you like them

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?   Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?  

Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?   Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?  

Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?   Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?  

Default Re: Car boot - 25th April - A well spent £3.50 ?

Great stuff Steve! Those photo's should keep you pretty busy for a while. Great find getting that ammo box. I hope you were wearing boots when you got these. You sure stepped into some you know what!

Nice finds Steve, done two car boots today and seen nothing.

z4

could the box contain charges for a howitzer or a PIAT?

cheers,

Awesome finds as usual Steve I have the First and Second Years Of The War In Pictures, apart from they have blue covers instead of red like yours. I'll se if I can dig them out as they arent on my bookshelf so they must be hiding in a box somewhere

Thanks

Danny

?

Hi Steve and Danny.

I thought that I recognised that book title. I have two copies of the FIRST year of the war in pictures, nothing unusal except that I have one copy in RED and the other in BLUE!!
    I would love to get hold of the rest of the series at a sensible price! (And that is NOT a hint either guys!)

When I get the battery charged up on my camera, I will post up a photo or two. I have also got a couple of other books that, hopefully, people will find of interest.

Heres the full set on ebay if anyone is interested
    They really are fantastic books, well worth a space in anyones collection

Books, 1st-6th Year Of The War In Pictures, FREEUKPOST on eBay (end time 08-May-10 15:49:32 BST)

Thanks

Danny

Great stuff

Now what about the box !!!!!

?

Our local Oxfam book shop had or still has all six volumns a short while ago, i didnt ask how much but now youve got me wondering, i reckon im going back there tomorrow.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Our local Oxfam book shop had or still has all six volumns a short while ago, i didnt ask how much but now youve got me wondering, i reckon im going back there tomorrow.
    Go get me volume 2 QUICK !

Steve T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast