Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Car boot - July 25th 2010

Article about: Hi all Well, it's been a few weeks since I found anything. In fact, it must be a good 2 months since I found anything at the carboot ! Anyway, today I did find a couple of items, not least o

Default Car boot - July 25th 2010

Hi all

Well, it's been a few weeks since I found anything. In fact, it must be a good 2 months since I found anything at the carboot !

Anyway, today I did find a couple of items, not least of which was a guy selling a fake stick grenade. It wasn't completely awful but it was obviously a fake. I didn't even ask how much......I would never have bought it.

Also found a chap selling a 1942 dated LE. Lovely weapon, nice condition with a certificate. £325. Bit steep for me

Also stumbled across an MG42 belt with 20 7.92's in it. I did get a bit excited but soon realised the 7.92's and the belt were both post war......quite ALOT post war to be exact However, the chap selling them claimed they were WW2 and wanted £50 I only know this because a chap picked them up after me and asked. I am afraid I couldn't help myself........butted in and pointed out the belt had pins not springs so was post war, and all the cartridges were dated after 1973, and that it was worth about a tenner at a push. The stall holder looked a little miffed so I smiled and went on my merry way

Anyways, onto what I found. I like these little bits. This sort of thing you have to hunt around for.

A couple of nice envelopes with nice stamps on them. One is dated 24th Sep 1939.....poor bugger hadn't been on active service long at all !!!

The card is obviously post war (just) but when I opened it I liked the bit on the inside.

Each of these was 50p each

Then I saw this book, which I think is Polish, and probably a post office savings kind of book. However, it is stamped from 1941 so whoever owned it was managing to put money away during the war. I would love it if one of you guys could translate some of it for me. I am particularly intrigued by the hand written words and the end of the entries, one of which begins 'Juden' or 'Jeden'. Coincidence ?

This was £1. Worth it just in case it was something to do with the war

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Car boot - July 25th 2010   Car boot - July 25th 2010  

Car boot - July 25th 2010   Car boot - July 25th 2010  

Default Re: Car boot - July 25th 2010

Hi Steve, the book is Czech.

Nice little finds.

Cheers, Ade.

I also got this book.

It isn't in brilliant condition but I think it is still superb. Early war so doesn't contain any of the later variant aircraft, or any 4 engined bombers. The American section is also very sparse with nothing but obsolete aircraft. Also, no Russian section at all.

What is great is that it was obviously intended as a reference for model builders. The front 10 pages are jammed with adverts for model building tools and aircraft. And each aircraft has it's own scale drawing, with the aerodynamics even shown

Not bad for £1.50

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Car boot - July 25th 2010   Car boot - July 25th 2010  

Czech ?

Cool

Thanks Ade

Hi Steve,

the passbook comes from Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia period (after CzechoSlovakia split up in 1939) that is why is German/Czech language. Handwriting on attached pics represents name, home address and the amount of the financial asset..., btw its amazing to see incoming and withdraw of our ancestors during WW2

regards

Pasarana

pasarana

Many thanks I wonder how on earth it ended up in England ? AND.......it appears to have been left in 1949 with 110 of whatever the currency was back then. Wonder if it is worth anything now ? I found an old post office book of mine with £1.23 in it from 1981. I took it to the post office and it is now worth £3.78 !!!

Cheers

Steve T