Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)

Article about: Hi Nothing much at the carboot today. Was mooching around having a quick double check of the numerous stalls when I saw one of the booters holding a brass 'tube'. He was digging about in a b

Default Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)

Hi

Nothing much at the carboot today. Was mooching around having a quick double check of the numerous stalls when I saw one of the booters holding a brass 'tube'. He was digging about in a box he'd just lifted from the car, taking all kinds of brass crap out. I loitered for a minute and he finally put the brass tube down on the table.

I asked how much and thought he said 'Ten pounds'.

'Blimey.....that's a lot' I said to him.

'What do you mean' he said, looking all shocked, '10 pee is hardly going to break the bloody bank !'

'10p ? Oh I thought you said 10 POUNDS'

'Nope.....just 10p. Don't even know where it came from'.

I paid and legged it

Looks like someone has had a go at grinding the base for some reason. Maybe the blast cap sat slightly proud and caused it to not sit right. whatever the reason, most of the markings are gone. However, at the six o'clock location I can JUST make out '1937' with an 'N' above it. A '5' at the 9 o'clock position and 'LA' at the 3 o'clock.

That's all I can make out. Anyone know what it's off ? Pictures below show internal diameter of 40mm.

There is a picture of this cartridge next to a 2pounder and a 'normal' 40mm also attached, (this new cartridge is the smallest one).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve T

PS 10p !!! My luck amazes even me at times
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)   Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)  

Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)   Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)  

Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)  

Default Re: Carboot 8th August - Steve gets lucky again :)

It's a small two pounder mate!

I think... although I could be wrong... that it's a 2 pounder shell from a Naval 'Pompom' aka a QF 2-pounder Mark VIII

They were adapted to fire the massive stockpile of surplus WW1 two pound shell

10p? How do you get away with it?

Martyn.