Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?

Article about: Hi Steve, You've done very well there my friend!! The goggles are Mk VIII model which went into service in 1943. They would have been worn mainly on the 'C' type helmet as the 'B' type of th

Default Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?

Hey all

Your views please !!

I bought these at the carboot today for a quid. I went back to them 2 or 3 times before finally deciding that they may be from WW2. I don't know what it was about them......but they kept reminding me of pilots goggles ....... but I realise they may just be motorcyclists goggles or such like.

What do you reckon ? No markings on them that I can see. Leather looks old enough to be from the 40's. No strap and half the stitching has long gone.

But I had this feeling..............

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?   Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?  

Default Re: Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?

Those are RAF MK. VIII goggles. They were introduced into service in the early 1940s.

Reg
    ?

A Quid???? Nice spot Steve.

Reg

Quote by angels one five View Post
    Those are RAF MK. VIII goggles. They were introduced into service in the early 1940s.

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bloody KNEW IT !

Steve T

A quid and you when back three times before you bought them? I thought I was tight

Well done

Cheers, Ade.

What a fantastic find. I am assuming a "quid" is basically the equivelent of the US dollar...but about double the buying power right now.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A quid is £1. Or $1.66 . So you are about right Steven

Cheers, Ade.

Yeah but I didn't know he was only going to charge me a quid ! My dilemma was whether or not to risk the purchase......given that you lot could laugh at me for buying a motorcyclists piece of crap !!!

The guy I bought them off was one of those 'house clearance' guys with like 100 boxes of CRAP.......but I spotted these and just kept going back because they made me think of the film 'The battle of Britain', in particular, Michael Caine.........a picture of him in goggles like those kept popping into my mind

But two questions spring to mind.

1. Is it worth re-sewing them or leave as is ?

2. How much are they worth ?

Steve T

Steve i always say follow your heart ,great find at a great price.
    And funny i learned at the same time by reading your thread what a carboot and a Quid meant .I will go to bed less stupid tonight lolllllll
    Frenchy

Quote by frenchy View Post
    Steve i always say follow your heart ,great find at a great price.
    And funny i learned at the same time by reading your thread what a carboot and a Quid meant .I will go to bed less stupid tonight lolllllll
    Frenchy
    Pleased I could expand your knowledge mate

Steve T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast