Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF

Article about: Hi all. Never fails to amaze me what turns up at boot sales. Picked up this album and thought I would share some of the better pics with you. Enjoy.

Default Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF

Hi all. Never fails to amaze me what turns up at boot sales. Picked up this album and thought I would share some of the better pics with you. Enjoy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF   Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF  

Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF   Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF  

Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF   Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF  

Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF  

Default Re: Carboot sale found National Service Photo Album REME and RAF

What amazes me the most, are the fact that someone is either selling their own, or others heirlooms.

To be fair, it was sold by a "dealer". But the fact that he sold it to me for £3 suggests that he probably did not pay all that much for it in the first place.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    To be fair, it was sold by a "dealer". But the fact that he sold it to me for £3 suggests that he probably did not pay all that much for it in the first place.
    It was not meant as an attack on you, I myself own several photo albums from people I know nothing about, other than what regiment they are from and perhaps a name. But I can't help feel saddened by they thought that no-one in the family was interested in these pictures.

It is the same story with the flee market bins full of civilian family portraits, sold only for the frame they sit in.
    Pictures taken in the 1890's and early 1900's is especially heartbreaking. Having survived for so long, only to be ripped from their frame.

But nice pictures non the less.

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    It was not meant as an attack on you, I myself own several photo albums from people I know nothing about, other than what regiment they are from and perhaps a name. But I can't help feel saddened by they thought that no-one in the family was interested in these pictures.

It is the same story with the flee market bins full of civilian family portraits, sold only for the frame they sit in.
    Pictures taken in the 1890's and early 1900's is especially heartbreaking. Having survived for so long, only to be ripped from their frame.

But nice pictures non the less.
    No, I know, I did'nt take it as an attack on me I totally agree with what you are saying though. Seems that every time I go to a boot sale or something I pick up something and think, I wish I was lucky enough to have had this passed down by a relative..... if it was, it certainly would not be sold

?

Families die off or just don't care about old pictures of distant relatives that they didn't know. In short, it is just life. Eventually we all die and generations to come have different value systems. Lamenting the things discarded by others is not for us to judge. If we collect these things it offers us an opportunity to acquire them. The vast majority of people wouldn't walk across the street to own anything that we hold in high regard and value. So, things disappear into the dustbins of time. No faults assigned to anyone. It is just life.

Your car booties are better than round these parts,never find anything like this,and have been going for 5 years,great buy anyway...............Jake.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    So, things disappear into the dustbins of time. No faults assigned to anyone. It is just life.
    It's just life but it does annoy me. Simply because i am off that generation where i know people who have sold family military items to fund a new Xbox games or such. The depleting level of interest shown towards our history and warfare is shocking lately in my opinion. And the selling of family history like this genuinely upsets me as today's generation would rather have a new computer game than learn and appreciate the past that gave them the life they have today. Rant over

Some very good photo's in there and an absolute bargain for £3.

most of the items in all our collections have been sold by someones relatives, there would be no collecting for most of us if it did not happen, a sad fact of life, but it happens.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Families die off or just don't care about old pictures of distant relatives that they didn't know. In short, it is just life. Eventually we all die and generations to come have different value systems. Lamenting the things discarded by others is not for us to judge. If we collect these things it offers us an opportunity to acquire them. The vast majority of people wouldn't walk across the street to own anything that we hold in high regard and value. So, things disappear into the dustbins of time. No faults assigned to anyone. It is just life.
    I think our values differ then.
    I have witnessed that people have thrown pictures of their grandparents in the dustbin. I find it absolutely appalling.

It is true, that all our things are sold of by someone, but pictures are such a personnel thing. Like letters, death notices and things like that.
    I find it saddening, although they now are with someone that will keep them safe, and can use them for something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast