Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find

Article about: I'm new around here, so please let me know if there are too many photo's here. We picked this up at a Jersey Shore garage sale a couple of years ago. Asked if they had anything military rela

Default Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find

I'm new around here, so please let me know if there are too many photo's here. We picked this up at a Jersey Shore garage sale a couple of years ago. Asked if they had anything military related and the guy runs down to his cellar and comes out about 10 minutes later with this knife. It's rough, but very cool. The Austin Carr name is etched into both sides, although one side is only visible when held at an angle in the sunlight. A quick search on Austin Carr reveals he was in the NY 82nd Infantry Regiment and author of a published diary. Of course, I don't think there is any way to substantiate this name, but it's still cool anyway!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find   Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find  

Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find   Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find  

Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find   Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find  

?

Default Re: Civil War D-Guard Bowie/Short Sword Austin Carr Basement Find

wood handle looks new, remakes from VA. are nice ?

Not new or a remake

?

I think it is US Civil War or before.
    Definitly not new.

Keep in mind, though, that Mexico made many many of these D-handle Bowie replicas of the original CSA pieces, and they were all crudely made and aged. I definitely do not like the red rust on the metal and the grip does not look good to me.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."