Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Article about: Hi All. Not found in a barn but floating in a marina. RNY Croft is based on a standard 40' Navel Pinnace hull, constructed in Burmese Teak. Commissioned in 1939 she is unusual in that she wa

Default Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Hi All. Not found in a barn but floating in a marina. RNY Croft is based on a standard 40' Navel Pinnace hull, constructed in Burmese Teak. Commissioned in 1939 she is unusual in that she was built as a Royal Navy Yacht, rigged with a Gaff ketch auxiliary sailing rig. The elderly chap I bought her off is an ex wartime RN Commander and is adamant she served at Dunkirk. Her layout comprises small aft cabin with two berths, moving forward you step up into a lovely teak wheelhouse which was of the open loco' type which is still complete though panelled in with ply at present. Moving forward is a good sized day cabin with original furniture to port though corresponding furniture to starboard is missing. forward again is a small galley area to Port and heads to Starboard. Forward again is a proper engine room with long range fuel tanks added (During the war). Forward again is a small single berth cabin with steel deck beams (To support Hotchkiss Machine gun allegedly). Her hull appears solid and her Ford diesel runs beautifully but her carlins are rotten in places and there is some rot in her beam shelf. I've bought her to save her from the chainsaws but whilst I have the skills I have not the finances to restore her. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find people interested is saving her? She is at present lying afloat in the North East of England.

The vessel is not on the list as a known survivor from Operation Dynamo, the relief from Dunkirk. But you could try asking the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships to look into it. The ADLS has a comprehensive archive of material relating to Operation Dynamo and the role of the Little Ships. In order for any boat to be accorded the privilege of wearing the 'Dunkirk 1940' plaque and flying the House Flag, that vessel must be proven to have taken part in Operation Dynamo. The Hon Archivist of the ADLS is always pleased to hear from anyone who believes their vessel participated in Operation Dynamo. Please send as much information as possible to substantiate the claim to the Hon Archivist at the following email address: archivist@adls.org.uk.

Whatever you've been told, if they can't prove it, well....You know the rest.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the replies, I have sent off an e-mail to the ADLS as suggested. The records we have show she signed on a short term civilian crew at the right time which may help with ID. I'll post some pictures at a later date, Little Ship or not she's worth saving.

?

Quote by MickyFinn View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I have sent off an e-mail to the ADLS as suggested. The records we have show she signed on a short term civilian crew at the right time which may help with ID. I'll post some pictures at a later date, Little Ship or not she's worth saving.
    There are a lot of people that claim to be a veteran that aren't.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    There are a lot of people that claim to be a veteran that aren't.
    The previous owner did not claim he was there, he does believe that Croft was though, all in all she is an attractive vessel and it will be interesting researching her history, she has long range fuel tanks which are fitted in her engine room which were not standard fittings in a pinnace yet look to be of the same era as much of the internal fit out. I'll update as I find out more,

How about putting up some pic's while you're at it Micky? It would be nice to see the rabbit so to speak!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Micky ...to support your post..please post some photos as you have already seen this vessel..and would be a great help to those who have maritime knowledge of the past. Without photos which will help you greatly..this thread will die..and end up being deleted for lack of content. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cheers all. Photo's to follow, Awaiting end of current Thunderstorm before heading over with camera!

Default RNY Croft Today.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

External view of Port side. Superstructure is clad in ply with original teak superstructure existing beneath. front and top of wheelhouse is original, doors and rear are later additions.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View of Starboard bow. Teak planking appears to be very sound, porthole to forward cabin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast