Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Article about: Hi All, I thought I would share some of my recent finds. All picked up from various places; EBay, local shops, family. First up is a nice cased, slot brooch PH. Surprisingly, I found this in

?

Default A Few Of My Recent Finds

Hi All,
    I thought I would share some of my recent finds. All picked up from various places; EBay, local shops, family.

First up is a nice cased, slot brooch PH. Surprisingly, I found this in a local pawn shop for $20…Can’t beat that price!

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Next up is a crimp brooch GCM named to a Donald W. Gross. Could be a modern award or a reissue (there is a WWII enlistment record with the same name). I’ll probably never know. It looks as though someone scratched the back of this I assume to check for gold content…I’m sure GCM’s would be looked at a lot differently if there was!

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Merrow edge US Special Forces SSI
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

Here is a display a recently rearranged. Added to is another slot brooch PH I found (no case), Occupation Medal with Japan bar, and the United Nations Korea Medal.

A Few Of My Recent Finds

US Navy Contract Pith Helmet by Hawley; dated 1948.

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

?

Default Re: A Few Of My Recent Finds

The following items I picked up for a display I am working on for the 5th SFG KIA medal grouping I recently acquired, which I posted here:

Named Vietnam War Medal Grouping to a KIA - 5th Special Forces Group (SFG), Detachment A-109

All Items are period (1967 or earlier) and would have been issued to this soldier.

First up is a set of Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) Basic Parachutist Wings

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Combat Infantry Badge

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Jump Wings on Special Forces (Unassigned) Oval (cut edge)

A Few Of My Recent Finds

5th SFG Beret Flash

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Cut edge US Special Forces SSI

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Expert Marksmanship Badge with Rifle and Auto Rifle bars

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Vietnam Military Merit Medal

A Few Of My Recent Finds

1967 and 1969 dated Vietnam Service Medal

The 67 medal is for the above group. The 69 medal I acquired for another display I am working on for my father in law.

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    Last edited by Masonk; 02-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.

?

To add to his display, my father in law’s original ribbon bar, collar brass (Transportation) and the P38 he carried throughout Vietnam. He enlisted in 66' and was released in 69'. He was attached to a transportation battalion (and believes Artillery as well) in 2nd Field Forces, but can’t recall specifics. In addition to giving me these items, he also lent me 100 or so photos he took while in Vietnam. I’m in the process of scanning them so they can be preserved and copies given to the family.

A Few Of My Recent Finds

His Expert Marksmanship Badge with Rifle bar. He also says he was eligible for the M-60 bar but never acquired it.

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Cut edge 2nd Field Force SSI and E5 rank insignia (his final rank when discharged). One of his sisters managed to save his uniform (he was going to chuck it). I keep pestering my wife to ask her for it as I’d like to pass it onto my son (only grandson in the family).

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Various pins he has acquired, post war of course

A Few Of My Recent Finds

Obviously not US, these were given to him post war by an Aussie soldier he served alongside with during Vietnam. A cap badge and calendar booklet detailing major military events, by date, throughout history.

A Few Of My Recent Finds

?

For yet another display I'm working on, a couple WWII era Wolf Brown ribbons. These are for my great uncle, an Aerial Gunner, who was in the USAAF and was KIA.

A Few Of My Recent Finds

?

And finally, some modern items that were brought into the non-profit thrift shop whose board I sit on. I will probably be selling most of these items giving the proceeds to the shop as I'm not big into modern gear. I do however like the protective chemical suit, so I may need to keep that one for myself!

1994 dated Protective Chemical Suit in Woodland Camo

A Few Of My Recent Finds

The suit is marked Training Only on the reverse of the jacket and one of the legs of the pants.

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

Modern Duffel Bag

A Few Of My Recent Finds

1993 dated Sleeping Bag Cover

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

Flyers Kit Bag I believe dated 1977

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

Alice Field Pack in Woodland Camo (LC-2)

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

And last, but not least...

Alice Field Pack in OD (LC-1)

A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds
    A Few Of My Recent Finds

That's all for now, folks!

?

Oh, I forgot one last find, although this is more of a sneak peak that I can't resist not sharing.

This is a US Artillery, Captain's grouping I just acquired, although not complete. Quite a few "souvenir" items included...more detailed photos of these items and the rest of the grouping coming soon!

A Few Of My Recent Finds