Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

A Few Named Groupings

Article about: Thought I'd share a couple of recently acquired, named groupings. First up is a grouping named to a Korean War vet who I will identify only as John. I had the pleasure of meeting with John t

?

Default A Few Named Groupings

Thought I'd share a couple of recently acquired, named groupings.

First up is a grouping named to a Korean War vet who I will identify only as John. I had the pleasure of meeting with John to purchase his uniform.

John was born in Philadelphia in 1932. He was drafted on 4 December 1952 and went through basic at Camp Stoneman in San Francisco, CA. He spent 16 months in Korea, serving in the 49th Field Artillery, 7th Inf Div and was stationed right at the 38th Parallel.

During 5 months of his service overseas, he played baseball with the Army as part of entertainment for the troops. The majority of his service he handled incoming and outgoing mail. Approximately 6 weeks of his service placed him in direct combat with the enemy.

John was discharged October 1954 and eventually went home to write on sports topics for the Associated Press, which he still does in some capacity today.

The group consists of John’s complete uniform and Artillery piped overseas cap. John was nice enough to give me a photo of him taken prior to going off to basic, to keep with the group. I also had the chance to look through his photo album from his time in service. One photo that stood out was of Marilyn Monroe when she came to entertain the troops.

Very nice man to meet with and at 80 years young, didn’t skip a beat!

Photo of John with the uniform

A Few Named Groupings

Period photo of John wearing the uniform in question. You'll notice that the ribbons are placed on upside down (including the ROK Presidential Unit Citation ribbon). In addition, it appers there was once a PUC on the uniform and a 2nd service star on the Korean War Service ribbon. Not sure what happened to these.

A Few Named Groupings

Period photo of John taken outside his home in Philly

A Few Named Groupings

Photo's of the uniform

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

?

Default Re: A Few Named Groupings

Next up is a USMC grouping named to William C. Roach. I acquired this at one of my local haunts who in turn acquired it from william's son and wife.

William was in the Marines for only one year, enlisting 20 June 1945 and discharged 29 August 1946.

According to the muster rolls, he spent this time stateside and appears to have served in some capacity (likely a guard) at Hart’s island, which at the time was a Naval prison.

The group consists of his dog tags, an ID bracelet, discharge pin, 2 USMC reserve pins and 2 EM EGA’s (cover and right collar).

Below is info from his BIRL's file and truncated versions of the muster rolls he appears in.

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

And photos of the group

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

You cannot beat named items.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Great stuff, it is always good to add a name to the items you have.

?

The 3rd grouping is named to Boatswain 2nd Class Joseph H. Brown. Joseph enlisted in the Navy 27 April 1943 and was discharged 24 February 1946. During this period of service, Joseph was on the USS Core, which operated in the Atlantic as part of a hunter-killer group with primary targets being German U-boats.

Joseph reenlisted 22 May 1969 for Vietnam and was discharged 1 May 1971. During this time he was with the 15th River Assault Squadron.

The group consists of his blue jumper (w/pants), his boatswain mate 3rd class insignia and theatre made 15th River Assault Squadron patch.

Info from Joseph's BIRLS file

A Few Named Groupings

Tuncated muster rolls...

1943-1944

A Few Named Groupings

1945-1946

A Few Named Groupings

Blue Jumper (slacks not pictured) and loose Boatswain 3rd Class insignia

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

Vietnamese made 15th River Assault Squadron patch (the piece that drew me to this group)

A Few Named Groupings

?

The last group is a little more modern and to be honest, I picked it up because it was inexpensive and because of what was written inside the visor.

The group is named to 2nd LT Charles W. Swift. I was unable to find any information online related to Lt. Swift. I did search his SSN and no returns in the SSDI file, which means LT Swift is likely still with us.

The group consists of his OG-107 utility shirt, dog tags and Company Grade officer’s visor manufactured by Flight Ace (original box included as well).

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

A Few Named Groupings

As I said, his calling card is why I acquired the group!

A Few Named Groupings

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    You cannot beat named items.
    Quote by MilitariaCollector View Post
    Great stuff, it is always good to add a name to the items you have.
    Thanks, gentlemen! And I couldn't agree more!