MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

A few recent finds.

Article about: Living in the South of England gives me opportunities to visit the sites of former military camps used in the build up of forces before the DDAY landings. The selection of finds shown all ca

Default A few recent finds.

Living in the South of England gives me opportunities to visit the sites of former military camps used in the build up of forces before the DDAY landings.
    The selection of finds shown all came from different sites, but it's the two batteries dated 1943 that I'd like help identifying(other items included for scale).
    Can anyone tell me the type of battery they are and what they were used for radio, motorbike?. I've included a few photos, the top centre section unscrews as shown, its embossed on the top BRIT PAT No 464 282 & 464 401 (at least I think thats the correct numbers because its very small). At the lower corner picked out in cream paint is a Crown and the number 690 and on the bottom is embossed AFI, then an upside down No 2 followed by 43 (for 1943) then 4410. They seem to be made of bakelite.
    The dimensions are 25cm (tall) highest point by 12cm (wide) by 8.5cm (deep). One has 667 on the cap over the negative terminal.
    I was walking through a wood and noticed a slight depression, I went over moved the leaves back and found 4 of these, I kept the best 2. There's more stuff in the hole which I guess was dug as a rubbish pit. I will return with my camera.
    The NAAFI cup and Saucer came from a tip that was used to dump the waste from an evacuation field hospital. Seriously wounded were flown from Normandy for treatment there. I've got about 8 cups and a couple of saucers. The mess tin dated 1939 and WD arrow marked was recovered from the site of a former British Army camp again used for the DDAY build up. The fork I believe is dated 1930 but could be 1939 again WD arrow marked, this came from another former holding area.
    Thanks for your help.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few recent finds.   A few recent finds.  

A few recent finds.   A few recent finds.  

A few recent finds.  

Default Re: A few recent finds.

No idea what the batterys were used for mate , but all great finds again , cheers Raymond