Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 122 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Quote by davejb View Post
    Have you put any up for sale via the forum, im sure there would be someone who would like the chance to own some of it, i dont know how common it is to get live authentic dated ammo in the states but its pretty damn rare here, unless its easy to get i would suggest keep it all together
    The owner of the gun shop had a whole "spam can" full of it! Opened for the first time since it was sealed in 1944. There must have been 1000rnds in there! IT SMELLED SO BAD! The gunshop man called it "dead air".

[QUOTE=Walkwolf;375667]
    Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Can anyone tell me anything about the parachute jump wings?

In a couple of hours I can tell you about the wings - when I'm home.
    ( can't see the photos just now............. )
    Sorry Steve! I always forget...

Now I see 'em..........!

They look like a miniature set from here. Odd though, with only the one post for a clutch.
    ( full size are about 1.5 inches wide ) Because these are worn, I can see bronze
    under the plating. This would indicate recent/modern, probably 60's.

Normally full size badges should have two posts, or a pin-and-catch arrangement
    and a makers mark. WWII type are mainly sterling.............
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the response, Steve!

I think the pictures make the jump wings look a tad smaller than they actually are. I'll see if I can find a ruler to put into the picture with them. Either way, I think they're a good snag for free! Hopefully I can make some money on them.

These just came in with the trash:

US WW2 mess kit. The mess kit itself it marked: U.S. E.A. Co. 1944. The spook is marked: U.S. The knife is marked: U.S. L.F. & C. 1945

This is a first edition of Eddy Rickenbacker's "Seven Came Through" from 1943.

Oddly enough, it looks like the mess kit has a WWI style lid to it...?

Not a garbage find, but still a woodwork find!

I sent a school-wide e-mail out in the high school I work at asking for militaria to use in the classroom. I've had a few teachers come forward with pieces of militaria they would let me borrow to use in my lessons...

The secretary in the main office... a tiny, quiet, mousey woman... the most unassuming person ever... gave me this 1945 marked ammo pouch! She is the last person in the whole world that I would have thought would give me militaria!

I can barely read the ink stamp on the back... I think part of it says: LEE 1945

Not bad for free! !

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    A customer "sold" me these items late Saturday... 3 medals and a bracelet in return for covering his $20 garbage bill. Not a bad trade if I do say so myself!

Can anyone comment on the bracelet? Is it trench art? Is it something a European jeweler made up in his shop to market to American GI's?

The three medals are an American WW2 victory medal, an American defense medal, and an American campaign medal.

The center part of the bracelet has a smoking Mt. Vesuvius volcano, an Italian umbrella pine tree, and sail boat (?) in the bay of Naples along with the words "Naples, Anzio, Cassino 1945". The links of the bracelet are each individually engraved... from left to right: Cassino, Sicily, Africa, Rome, Anzio, Siena.

Your bracelet is killing me.....
    AAAARGHHHH!What a piece of history!!!May i ask you to photography it under various angles?It's a real gem,i'm crazy of it!
    IMO,not a trench art relic.

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    Your bracelet is killing me.....
    AAAARGHHHH!What a piece of history!!!May i ask you to photography it under various angles?It's a real gem,i'm crazy of it!
    IMO,not a trench art relic.
    Hi Seb,

I will take pictures of the bracelet for you today after work!

I do not plan to sell it, but if I ever do (you never know what tomorrow will bring...) I promise to keep you in mind!

Here you go, Seb!

?

The helmet looks very good to me. If you want to sell it send me an mail. You find my mail on my site. militaria-pictures.com

Page 18 of 122 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast