Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

If anyone is interested, I'll take detailed pictures of the photos showing live at Camp Bowie, and Pvt. Parks' service in Europe.

kc1
    ?

Can you scan them, most combination printers have a scanner function and its surprising what detail can be picked out when the scan is enlarged. I'd like to see the photos of Detmold, that was an army air corps base in the 1970's

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Can you scan them, most combination printers have a scanner function and its surprising what detail can be picked out when the scan is enlarged. I'd like to see the photos of Detmold, that was an army air corps base in the 1970's
    I do not have a scanner, but I'll set my camera up on a tripod, and use a good backdrop to take pics of the best photos of the bunch. I'd say 80% of the ETO pictures are from Detmold.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Is there anything I can do to improve this? Or are you talking about the quality of the photo itself that Pvt. Parks took nearly 70yrs ago?
    I don't think so Giz, it's not really the photo as much as what's left of the a/c that makes a 100% positive I.D. near impossible, but hey, it's one or the other of a specific airframe built by Junkers! As Steven said, the only real noticable difference is the cockpit, and thats gone...
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

A customer brought these in today:

my father found this in the trash heap:

A lot of the coupons are still inside.

Looks like something was nibbling on it...

Hope that grenade is inert....William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The grenade is not an original WW2 example, but a painted training grenade. You can tell just from the shape of the spoon, and the fuse assembly with the paint spot on the side.

Actually, it may be possible that the grenade body is original, but I can't tell from that photo. It's most likely a repro though. Training grenade bodies have also been casted, I have one with the same fuse assembly as this. As for the launcher attachment, I don't know about that.

Mat

Actually, on second review, I'm sure the grenade body isn't genuine. The colour looks wrong, and there is no yellow band at the top to denote 'high explosive'.

Mat

I'm confident that both grenade and launcher assembly are repros. Regardless, it's pretty cool! Just goes to show that I'll never know what will come in with the trash!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I'm confident that both grenade and launcher assembly are repros. Regardless, it's pretty cool! Just goes to show that I'll never know what will come in with the trash!
    Exactly, I'd sure as hell be happy to get those for free! I'm impressed at the quantity of militaria that comes your way, it's a little crazy!

Mat

Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast