Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 122 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

That's the one!

Quote by packin9 View Post
    That's the one!
    lol, yeah... pretty sure that's just a sassy dude!

I liked your business on FB! Cheers, Robert

Thank you so much, everyone!

No way...I'm not buying it! That's a Woman! lol No guy is going to hold the Other guy's Hand and pose for a photo!(and look how Small that hand is!) Just from the stance, the way with the arm around the guy's waist, the little face and the grin on it, the eyes....If that isn't a woman....well....uuh...I still think it is! lol And can you just imagine the story behind That photo,hey? William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by stefano34 View Post
    We have a facility near us that is similar, it used to be council owned and you could buiy things like old bicycles, furniture etc then it went private and for a while things stayed the same then one day you could no longer buy things and everything went to the groundfill or scrapyard, the only exceptions are that a container a week is filled with bric a brac and sold on to a local trader family that then sells stuff on the weekly flea market.
    Most of what they get is tat(rubbish) but on occassion they do have the odd good thing.
    Now I sort of know a guy who works there at ther 'tip'(and no he can't get anything I asked several times) and he and others there have very little if any idea what the value of stuff that goes through there! A few months ago I had to drop by and they were throwing a 1950's English built lightweight racing bicycle in the scrap steel skip, they wouldn't let me buy it for spares...it appeared to be a ladies 531 tubed Jack Taylor tourer with all period components and seeming to need no more than new tyres...value around £300-500...scrap value about £1.00!!!
    I have since stopped going there as it saddens me so much, I really hate to think what militaria has gone through there in the past and currently!
    I get the same thing at my local tip, ive asked them loads of time to save anything that comes in and said id pay them, but everytime i call in there they say that they dont bother with it, then one of them had the cheek to tell me that there were two swords and a few helmets that came in, they snapped the swords and used a sledge hammer on the helmets, he showed me the top half of one of the swords, i nearly cried, it looked like a handle from a samurai sword but it was well chewed up , the helmets were sent to the scrappers down the road, i couldnt understand it, i told them i would have given at least £50 for the swords and another £20-30 for the helmets, that shocked them, then i told them not to bother anymore, i wouldnt be coming back, that upset one of the guys so much that he asked for my phone number, so now im waiting for a call

?

I just stumbled across this thread, its mad crazy that you are this lucky to find those things. I have seen magazines like the ones you posted a while back in an antique mall, the prices are listed from each individual selling, and i think the guy wanted like 40 each, and you end up getting them for free, wow. that just makes you hope that when ever you have passed someone will take the time and look through your things to see if there is anything worth while and not just toss them away, at least i do.

Thanks for the kind responses, everyone!

I haven't had the opportunity to use this stuff in the classroom this year, but I'm chomping at the bit to do so! I had a special ed teacher approach me recently to team teach his 8-1-2 classroom (8 students, 1 teacher, 2 teacher aides)... this kids are tough nuts to crack. A lot of them have learning disabilities, and most of them have been in MAJOR trouble, both with the law and in school... We're hoping that bringing in hands-on stuff will help them open up a little bit and enjoy school for once!

They have been talking about WWII in class, and just finished reading Night by Elie Wiesel, so a lot of the stuff I have will fit right in.

?

Joe, you really do worry me by letting these students "play" with your collection, it only needs one to drop or mis-handle something and youve got a problem, especially if they put the helmets on their heads, the liners are not new anymore and can get easily damaged by being "stressed" or if someone bangs the helmets whilst being worn to see if they can feel the impact etc, i commend you for bringing history to life with the younger generation, but with me it would be a look and feel but not wear policy

In a related topic, this SD M42 SS was found in a rubbish skip, before being sold to a local dealer, from whom I purchased it. No longer in my collection, now owned by Dave, a member here.

Regards and good luck with finding more items.

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds in the GARBAGE!  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 27 of 122 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast