Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Definitely 40mm. I love these shells Just got a couple myself from, of all places, my mother !!!! She spotted them on a market stall and saw they were WW2 dated and bought them me

Hopefully yours will be WW2 dated as well

I was at the school today but I will be working at the facility tomorrow morning. After I dispatch the trucks and set up the scale for the day, I will play with these shells.

?

Looking forward to see what you will come up with.

Here is another picture of the two shells. I added the greenback for scale reference. My cellphone camera is too crappy for clear pics of their heads.

Finds in the GARBAGE!

The shell on the bottom is head stamped: LOT No 0419 (L in a triangle symbol), 8-42, 40MM MK 1, (anchor symbol), AL. The primer is marked: U.A.M. Co. MKXX-3. LT-230 UR 43.

The more tarnished shell is head stamped: LOT No 0115 (L in a triangle symbol), 5-42, 40MM MK 1, (anchor symbol), AL. The primer is marked: U.A.M. Co. MK-21-3. LT-280 LR 43

So I assume these two shells were made in May and August 1942. Again, I assume the anchor symbol means they were used on a ship?

I think you are correct about the date.

I have a 75mm shell which has a anchor symbol as well(Made 1945), so I hope somebody has an answer.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

what gun would these shells be fired from(can any1 post a pic)
    thanks adam

If you mean the 40mm, then Bofors AA L/60 gun-various mountings for land use or ships but the same basic gun.

Quote by rabbitface View Post
    what gun would these shells be fired from(can any1 post a pic)
    thanks adam
    Bofors 40 mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Off topic post... but as a lot of you know, on top of working for my parents at the recycling facility, I teach at the high school I graduated from AND I am one of the varsity Track & Field coaches.

Yesterday, my track team placed 3rd out of 28 teams at an invitational meet. It may not seem too impressive... but our high school doesn't even have an official track... we have a ring of dirt and cinder that our kids bust their asses on. All of our athletes worked very hard, and really did their best yesterday.

"Coach T" is very proud this morning! ... very sun burnt, too!

Finds in the GARBAGE!
    Finds in the GARBAGE!

Wow, the things people throw away really disgust me. Luckily you are there to salvage the items! Amazing finds, hope there are many more to come!

Page 52 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast