Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 55 of 122 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Hi Joe,

Regarding the pieces of rock you have. I can't see a G.I. picking up random shards of rock and carting them back home, they must have had some significance for him to do this IMO.

Below is a couple of photo's of Hitler's fireplace at the Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden, it was a gift to him from Mussolini and is made of Italian marble, a dark red type with white striations running through it. The borderof the hearth was different in being white stone.

The first one is what the fireplace originally looked like, the second what it's like today after the G.I.'s had a good old hack at it, and the other two are fragments of it that have been auctioned recently.

It may only be a theory; but I think there is a fair chance that at least a couple of these pieces may well be part of that fireplace.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds in the GARBAGE!   Finds in the GARBAGE!  

Finds in the GARBAGE!   Finds in the GARBAGE!  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Joe,

Regarding the pieces of rock you have. I can't see a G.I. picking up random shards of rock and carting them back home, they must have had some significance for him to do this IMO.

Below is a couple of photo's of Hitler's fireplace at the Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden, it was a gift to him from Mussolini and is made of Italian marble, a dark red type with white striations running through it. The borderof the hearth was different in being white stone.

The first one is what the fireplace originally looked like, the second what it's like today after the G.I.'s had a good old hack at it, and the other two are fragments of it that have been auctioned recently.

It may only be a theory; but I think there is a fair chance that at least a couple of these pieces may well be part of that fireplace.

Regards, Ned.
    Wow, Ned! Amazing! I know this is complete speculation... for all we know these pieces of rock could have come from anywhere... BUT knowing that there is a fair chance is completely mind blowing!

Can anyone tell me if the 14th Armored passed thru Berchtesgaden? If not, would it have been possible for Pvt. Don Lane to make his way there?

I love how no one noticed the old mein Kampf. I would love to get a very old copy of mein kampf you are quite lucky

Good eyes! I can't read German... but it appears to be given to a couple whose last names are Heinz and Zimmerman on the day of their marriage?

What is the copyright date? And would you be willing to part with it?

I followed your lead Joe and put a sign up at work, I think I have a free M34 coming! Watch this space

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I followed your lead Joe and put a sign up at work, I think I have a free M34 coming! Watch this space
    You're joking Andy!!!

Nope, he will bring it to me next Saturday he says, hope he is serious

?

Arrrgh Andy. You lucky sod. First a guy in front of me finds half a MG34 on our last dig, and now you hopefully get one for free. I really hope he is serious mate.

Regards, Lars

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Arrrgh Andy. You lucky sod. First a guy in front of me finds half a MG34 on our last dig, and now you hopefully get one for free. I really hope he is serious mate.

Regards, Lars
    Nooo not MG34, M34 helmet for fireman / police. Damn I would wet myself if someone said I could have a free MG34

Page 55 of 122 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast