Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

PS The bayo is the S98/05 Sawback type-rare with sawback intact especially by the time the US was involved in France-the saw was intended for pioneer work cutting logs, ropes etc not for making wounds worse-yours is a very reasonable example if it was cleaned up and the rust removed (gently).

Here are better pictures of my latest finds. I'm thinking the individual whose dogtags were included in this grouping collected this stuff as he served. Also, any idea what's going on with the red cord that the dogtags are on? That's not what they normally used, is it?

Here's part of his service record: NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

Anyone know how I can go about finding out what unit he was in/ where he served?

This bill is so crisp, I had to stack the coins ontop of it so it would lay flat for the picture

I think I've correctly identified two of the medals I found today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Croix du combattant and Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer were awarded for pretty much the same thing; participating in World War 1 (with the Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer being for soldiers who served but did not fight)? Interesting that whoever put this grouping together chose those two medals.

You are correct with the "Croix du combattant",extremely common here in the frogs land,certainly much more rare in the US of A.....
    Your thread makes me dreamin',by the way....Congrats!!

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    You are correct with the "Croix du combattant",extremely common here in the frogs land,certainly much more rare in the US of A.....
    Your thread makes me dreamin',by the way....Congrats!!
    Thanks for the kind words! It really is amazing, and I feel so lucky.

Anyone know anything about the 3rd medal I posted? Hessian? How about the pouch, coins, and Yuan bill I posted?

No major finds today. Just a grenade! :P I have it along side the dented U.S. Canteen that was found a while ago

The pouch is a private purchase item: used to hold a sewing kit of needles and thread. As you can see it is marked with a trade name of "Comrades Help". I have one in my collection.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks for the kind words! It really is amazing, and I feel so lucky.

Anyone know anything about the 3rd medal I posted? Hessian? How about the pouch, coins, and Yuan bill I posted?

No major finds today. Just a grenade! :P I have it along side the dented U.S. Canteen that was found a while ago
    Yep you are lucky, but I hope you aren't unlucky with the grenade! I suppose it's a training one as it's not painted yellow anywhere on it

Thanks Adrian! Any idea if it's from World War 1 or 2? Is Drahoma a German company?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Yep you are lucky, but I hope you aren't unlucky with the grenade! I suppose it's a training one as it's not painted yellow anywhere on it
    lol, yes - it is a training grenade. The bottom has a huge opening and it has a hollow inside. Someone must have used it as a paper weight.

The grenade is painted blue-usual colour for an 'explosive' training item.

Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast