Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 62 of 122 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 112 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Quote by Poromies View Post
    What kind of helmet is that?
    Vegar is correct. It's an American Civil Defense helmet. On the inside, it's stamped: "O.C.D(Office of Civil Defense) U.S. Property."

This helmet looks barely worn and is very clean. The only problem with it was that the cloth chinstrap was 90% torn through. I got it sewn together and the repair looks very clean. You can find these for about $20 before shipping on U.S. Ebay, so obviously it's not very rare or valuable, but I am still quite fond of it!

This has got to be one of the most exciting finds we have salvaged to date! It's the complete war diary of a 2nd. Lieutenant who served as a bombardier on a B24 in the Pacific. He talks about everything from when he is going through training, his combat missions, and then of course when he hears of FDR's death and Japan's surrender! He also speaks about helping to test out a new type of radar targeting system... "Shoraw?"

The uploader hasn't been working for me lately... let me try to upload pics!

DAMN THE UPLOADER!

- - Updated - -

- - Updated - -

- - Updated - -

This is it for now. There are TONS of pages in this diary!

?

Jeezs Joe, what a truly great find, i would love to sit down and read all of it plus this guy was awarded a mass of medals, it goes to show that there are family members who have absolutely no feelings of their families history, nor respect for war veterans, if that was a member of my family it would take pride of place and i would be more than happy to boast about it

Quote by davejb View Post
    Jeezs Joe, what a truly great find, i would love to sit down and read all of it plus this guy was awarded a mass of medals, it goes to show that there are family members who have absolutely no feelings of their families history, nor respect for war veterans, if that was a member of my family it would take pride of place and i would be more than happy to boast about it
    Hi Dave, I am so honored to have found this! As I continue reading, I am finding so many interesting things! This is so cool!

One of the best finds yet!

Regards,

Corey

Wow ! That is a stunning find ! What a terrible shame that the
    family could care less about a true hero in their midst.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen!

Steve is totally correct. It is absolutely disgusting what imbecilic people throw into the garbage. One has to wonder where his medals and awards he mentions are? At the bottom of the scrap metal dumpster? What with the endless solutions as to what you could do with an unwanted piece of History-all free of charge and easy, These cretins chose to trash... It's enough to make a person vomit...
    I remember years ago, a man I knew went from being a bum to driving a Mercedes simply by financing a big truck and advertising in Chicago that they would clear out buildings,homes,garages and storage units-for a Fee. They found coin collections, full jewelry boxes, unopened antique safes, you name it. Why some people can't be bothered enough to not throw away actual Money, is a mystery to me. And this stuff is no less and in most cases even better than money. Me? I still pick up pennies on sidewalks....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 62 of 122 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 112 ... LastLast