Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 64 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Hi Guys,

I think the best bet may be for me to type it up and also scan/ take pictures of the pages. I will be sure to post them together.

I am sitting down to begin typing as we speak...

Hi folks,

Since 1pm today, I have been working on the diary off and on. I have completed the sections on 2nd Lt. Kane's "Identification", his "Service Record (including transfers and changes in rank)", "Citations, awards and decorations", "my buddies", "my officers" and finally "civilians i met while in the service".

So much more to go!

Nick at GotJunk kept his word! He found this in the basement of a house he had to clean out...

Looks like it first saw use as a USN helmet (dark blue paint on interior of the steel pot, ghosting of "64" on the outside.) It then received a sandy textured green overpaint. The shell's heat stamp appears to read: "I 1975". Can anyone let me know when the steel pot was made based on the heat stamp?

The liner is a westinghouse. Not sure if the liner was WWII issue and then rewebbed for post war use...

The helmet cloth cover is one sided and has "V" on either side. The "V" is printed onto the fabric and is NOT something someone added after the fact with a marker or paint.

Only down side, as can be seen by the pic, is that the liner strap at 12o' clock has been sliced. Other than that, the helmet is in great shape!

Not bad for free, and a great way to start off a week!
    Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!

Looks like another great score

Corey

Ah, finally you got it, looks great! And the fact that the "V" is printed on the cover is a confirmation of the OpFor training use of it

Thanks, gentlemen!

I really do like the looks of this lid.

If you send me some scans of the diary Joe I'd be happy to take some of the load and type some up for you.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    If you send me some scans of the diary Joe I'd be happy to take some of the load and type some up for you.
    Thanks so much for the offer, Krad! I have been absorbed with this diary since it fell into my hands and have spent a few hours each day typing up what the 2nd Lt took the time to write down. I have also learned the fellows hand writing style pretty well... I think I have typing it up covered... but every once in a while I encounter some words that are tough to read/ I don't recognize... especially the names of exotic South Pacific islands! If you could help me figure out these words, I'd really appreciate it!

I would say that I am about 50% done with the diary. When I finish, I will take pictures of all the pages and post the whole diary page by page with pictures of the pages included!

Sounds good man, let me know if you need anything.

well hurry up then joe,cant wait to read this

Page 64 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast