Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found in attic Fairbairn-Sykes

Article about: Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife marked Sheffield England on the cross guard. Grip is a metal alloy with pointy butt end, a real killer! I would love to know more about this piece so all you m

bsweeney
    ?

Default Found in attic Fairbairn-Sykes

Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife marked Sheffield England on the cross guard. Grip is a metal alloy with pointy butt end, a real killer! I would love to know more about this piece so all you militaria buffs out there please help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found in attic Fairbairn-Sykes  

?

Default Re: Found in attic Fairbairn-Sykes

i think this is a British commandos knife not sure of age though.

Hello Mr.Sweeny.

The F-S knife is still carried in M.O.D stores in small numbers for issue only to Special Forces , but only if requested so i am led to believe. A friend bought me one back from Iraq a couple of years ago. The knife is made in Sheffield and is in an all black finish, the quality nowhere near as good as yours! Also, 'the pointy butt end' is no longer allowed, it used to be called a 'skull cracker'.

I should also point out that a presentation type F-S is carried in very limited numbers for certain awards. This is apparently silver or silver plate, i've heard of them bit never seen one.

Kind Regards, Ned.

Hi,
    Does the knife have a crow foot military arrow on it,.
    this knife has been extensively copied over the years, It could be
    a run of the mill knife. As they are not all military ones .
    Dave.

This is not an issue "FS" knife, but will be a private purchase example. I suspect it might be of wartime vintage though.

Note the angled crossguard and pointed pommel. Also the grip is not that of a conventional Third Pattern knife.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi,
    If ever you are in Scotland, I.E, Loch Long on the west side in a small hollow by some tree,s you will find my F, S. knife.
    As i forgot it and couldnt go back for it. That cost me dearly.
    Dave.

bsweeney
    ?

I understand that this type of knife was highly sought out and purchased privately during WWII.

Quote by bsweeney View Post
    I understand that this type of knife was highly sought out and purchased privately during WWII.
    You are correct. They were only issue to Airborne, Commando and other special forces units. So there was a ready market with other units and nationalities.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    If ever you are in Scotland, I.E, Loch Long on the west side in a small hollow by some tree,s you will find my F, S. knife.
    As i forgot it and couldnt go back for it. That cost me dearly.
    Dave.
    Next time I'm up there I'll have look for it of you want! how long ago did you leave it there anyway?

jume
    ?

My late uncle who landed on Normandy Beach on the third day with the Canadian armoured, made reproductions of this British Comando knife from the worn chrome molley steel spindel pins of Sherman Tanks. He would barter then for collectables. One was presented to Jack Benny when he visitd the troops. Thought I would relay this story as a side note.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast