Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Found this at a flea market today

Article about: Guys I bought this color engraving -lithograph today at a flea market if I had to guess this is the British army in Afghanistan during the 1860 or 70 whenever they were there doing a little

Default Found this at a flea market today

Guys I bought this color engraving -lithograph today at a flea market if I had to guess this is the British army in Afghanistan during the 1860 or 70 whenever they were there doing a little reprisal tactics.Amazing image. What do you guys think.It is about a9x6 print and is had a frame with it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found this at a flea market today  

?

Default Re: Found this at a flea market today

More like India and the radical way, the British Army did away with Sepoys involved in the uprising.

just a guess.

?

Just now checked.

Check this link. Your pic is included (scroll down)

Indian Rebellion of 1857 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont know from what recess of my brain, I dug up the Sepoy info from. Im not even from the UK : - )

I think maybe I read to many history books and need to get out more.

Great image you have thare, no messing around in those days...

Scout.Wow what a memory.Thank you so much for the link provided lots of information,I love the way the British named all sorts of toucher,''Flogging through through the fleet'',Hang him from the yardarms,Keel-hauling,cat o nine tails,The Rack so on and so forth.I guess one would have to do all sorts of things trying to keep India, British.

Quote by operaman View Post
    I guess one would have to do all sorts of things trying to keep India, British.
    Now it's the other way around

Same thing in the Boxer rebellion,Britain trying to keep China British.When we don't learn from history we are condemned to relive it.Someone famous said that don't know who.Oh by the way congrats on 70th anniversary of kicking the Luftwaffe's butt in the Battle of Britain.I would love to come to London for the celebration.Rule Britannia

?

Quote by operaman View Post
    Scout.Wow what a memory.Thank you so much for the link provided lots of information.......................I guess one would have to do all sorts of things trying to keep India, British.
    No problem. Glad to help.

Thanks for posting the pic. Quite thought provoking. Imagine something like that happening today and imagine how the mentality back then, made them do that to a vanquished foe........and get away with it.

The uniforms are wrong for the Mutiny - from Wiki

Vasily Vereshchagin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Vereshchagin's detractors argued that such executions had only occurred in the Indian Rebellion of 1857, but the painting depicted modern soldiers of the 1880s, implying that the practice was normal. Because of its photographic style, the painting appeared to present itself as impartial record of a real event. In the Magazine of Art in December 1887 Vereshchagin defended himself, rather evasively, by saying that this mode of execution was "the most humane in existence" and that if there were another rebellion then the British would use it again"

Regards

Richie

Seems to me that this mans definition of'' humane'' indicates that his head is attached to the wrong end of his spinal column