Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Found Unused Tombstone

Article about: I was sweeping out my basement a little better than last year when I noticed that the odd step-like foundation in the corner was actually white marble with a round end. I flipped it over to

Default Re: Found Unused Tombstone

its not worth $5000 that is for sure ..I cleaned out and old funeral home a while back and i found about 10 old head stones in the basement ( 3 military ones still in the cardboard shipping boxes) from what i was told military head stones are part of VFW burial benifits some family opt out of using them and use a "family style" head stones instead ...BTW both of my grandfathers didnt use their militay head stones and i have them in my moms basement

I think it should go to the family.I would personally find it immoral to sell a tombstone to profit from it.Sorry thats just my view everyone has the right for an opinion.He gave his life for others freedom so deserves to be offered at least to his relatives for free!

It makes perfect sense that if he were moved back to the US, that this might be the stone from Europe, not re-used.

Since he surely has a new one the 'recognition' issue is moot as really is the morality one since it's not taken from his present grave or anything distasteful like that (I should hope!), and it would seem clear the family doesn't care much about this second stone if it was just stuck away and forgotten. It's kind of a weird thing to have anyway- I mean regardless of service, would you want a family member's tombstone? Medals, uniforms, etc. sure- but a tombstone? I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it was just stuck in the basement and forgotten. I can't imagine it's worth much for that reason too- a bit morbid to have a grave-marker in one's collection even if a surplus one.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12