Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.

Article about: Hello all, This was found in a garage / barn here in Oregon this year. Not my find but a friends. He didn't know what it was and I was unsure myself. But for \\$20 dollars, I took a chance. Af

Default Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.

Hello all,

This was found in a garage / barn here in Oregon this year. Not my find but a friends. He didn't know what it was and I was unsure myself. But for $20 dollars, I took a chance. After researching, I find that it seems to only resemble US civil war era navy flat hats. I find numerous replica civil war hats of this type Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.Garage find in Oregon, not sure of age, help needed.on ebay. If there is a replica of this hat, perhaps it is civil war. The two odd little zigzag cut outs on the top are very telling and the star type stitching. The ties in back and the remnants of a chinstrap on the sides confuse me a little. Does anyone know more on this hat? US civil war or something else? Hard to tell as I have never owned a civil war hat of any kind and after researching, I find that the US navy boys wore numerous types of hats. Straight flat, droop side, straw, kepis and a few others I can't identify. Its does not look to be post 1880s in design but could it be European? Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Forrest

Could it be civilian possibly? I've never seen anything like this before, but then again, I'm not an expert on much from before 1914 (as interested as I am in it!). It almost looks like a Tam O Shanter of some form.. Maybe the fabric on the top was part of what held the pom pom in place? Again, just an idea. Don't take my word for it, though.

Yea, kind of a tough one here. Just not enough of these floating around to compare. The oddest part is that when searching ebay for examples of civil war navy hats, there are ones exactly like this one but in brand new condition. Right down to the weird little top parts. Those ones don't have the ties in back though. As for civilian, I don't think so. Very military in look and the wool is older looking then my WW1 navy items. But then again, I just don't know. Thanks for any help.

Forrest