Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

German Panzer Main Optic/Sight TZF 5 "e"

Article about: I found this thing years ago, and have been trying to figure out what the "e" denotes. The manual I have which describes the different types of tank optics for German Tanks and Arm

Default German Panzer Main Optic/Sight TZF 5 "e"

I found this thing years ago, and have been trying to figure out what the "e" denotes. The manual I have which describes the different types of tank optics for German Tanks and Armored Cars has the TZF 5 a, b, d, and f, but NO "e". This series all seems to fit the Panzer PzKpfw III through PzKpfw IV Models, and I assuming this would be in that series, but if anyone has the specifics and would share what the "e" means, I would greatly appreciate it. This sight works, nothing is locked up and the small bar toward the bottom of the sight spins an optical disc with the ranges on the interior. This came from an old military show years ago for about $25.00. The dealer had 2 and I only wish I had grabbed them both when I had the chance. In the photos the sight shown behind this one is a Russian T34-85 "Super Stalin" Tank main optic and another German optic which would connect to the larger AA Range Finders as I understand. The Russian Tank Sight was obtained in Hungry when the Iron Curtain fell, as many of those pieces of old armor on monuments became pots and pans I was told by the individual who was able to get this sight out when I purchased it. Thanks for any information on the "e" designation and for those interested in the Panzers enjoy the photos.

E for elevation ??

I "think" it is a "series" marking… if it was an American Sight, you may be on the mark… but the Handbook on German Forces that was put out by our folks has a letter "series" using the lettering system next to the "TZF 5" notation… which usually in my experience was tied to a "generation or series" of what ever was being looked at… below is a scan of a portion of this chart and it is missing the "e" where it specifies the sight… but there is an "e" where it relates to a "Tank Version" which should be something different I think… as it says "used on" …
    Quote by Australia View Post
    E for elevation ??