Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Greenhouse find

Article about: Hi Guys, not in a barn or attic but found in a Greenhouse or Glasshouse in England where an old man was growing his plants. My friend saw this item, which he called a "Seed shaker"

Default Greenhouse find

Hi Guys, not in a barn or attic but found in a Greenhouse or Glasshouse in England where an old man was growing his plants.

My friend saw this item, which he called a "Seed shaker" and told me it looked like a stick grenade? I said to him and get it and let me have a look at it.

Once I saw it I knew exactly what it was; a WW1 German stick grenade. The old man had cut the top off it and removed the explosive and igniter. He then used it to put seeds inside and then he would walk along shaking the seeds out of it to plant them!

The feld grau paint on the inside is in good condition. The grenade is dated 1915 and is made by "AEG", a company still in business today who make kitchen appliances like cookers and fridges. The fuse time is marked on the handle for 5 and a half seconds.

The wood was very dry and had woodworm so I treated this. The rust was also treated too. The head will now unscrew. I added a ground find cap and ball but I did not fit them on permenantly, just for display.

I got to buy the item and add it to my collection. I do not collect WW1 items as such, but I do have a few items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greenhouse find   Greenhouse find  

Greenhouse find   Greenhouse find  

Greenhouse find   Greenhouse find  

Default Re: Greenhouse find

What a neat item Adrian , its amazeing what people use these relics for , good to see you saved it . I have an M16 that was used as a money donation box at a winery Raymond

Hi Raymond, I love stuff that has been put to post war use in an unusual way.

Cheers, Ade.

Yea,that potatoe masher sure has 'history' to it.

Just as well it was deactivated or it would have done more than spread seeds!!!

lol