Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

History of the Seond World War - Charity shop find

Article about: Hi all I had a few minutes break whilst at work yesterday so went wondering around the little town I was in. I popped into a charity shop to look for WW2 books, (well worth doing and somethi

Default History of the Seond World War - Charity shop find

Hi all

I had a few minutes break whilst at work yesterday so went wondering around the little town I was in. I popped into a charity shop to look for WW2 books, (well worth doing and something I do whenever I pass a charity shop), but couldn't see any.

For some reason I decided to ask if they had any military books in the back and was told I could have a look. Whilst looking through the books out back a member of staff came back from lunch and asked what I was after. I told her 'WW2 books'. This is what then happened;

'Well, an old lady has been bringing these envelopes down over the past couple of weeks, a few at a time,' said the staff member, handing me an A4 envelope. I looked inside and saw it contained 5 issues of the 'History of World War Two' by Parnell, published in 96 parts in the late 1960's.

'Those are interesting,' I said. 'Is it a complete set?'

'I think so,' said the member of staff. 'The old lady's husband collected them and he has since passed away. She has been clearing some of his stuff out and has been bringing these envelopes down. When she last came a week or so back she said that was all of them.'

I checked the envelopes and, sure enough, it was the entire set of magazines. The front of each envelope was carefully marked with the contents. Volumes 1 to 8, complete.

'How much do you want for them?' I asked, expecting a silly price.

'Oh I don't know,' Said the member of staff, 'how about £3?'

'Three ?' I asked.

'Yeah.......I don't think we'll sell them and will probably just throw them away. I'll be pleased to ge them out the way as they take up so much room.'

'Ok, I'll take them,' I said.

So there you go.

£3

For the ENTIRE set. They are all in immaculate condition and have been stored well. There is no yellowing of the paper or tears or rips or dog earing of any of them. They are totally mint.

I am completely over the moon All I've got to do now is think of some way of binding them. Perhaps Parnell still have some binders for them ? I'll ask.

The best buy EVER !

Steve T

4md
    ?

Default Re: History of the Seond World War - Charity shop find

excellent buy, well done, i had most of these as a kid in the 80s. youve got me thinking i wonder if theyre still at my parents house somwhere

i bet you can still get the original binders..... ebay maybe

?

Very nice find,I love war books....Pete
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Thats a great Charity shop find Steve, i do the same every week , but very little gets into our shops because some of the staff have husbands and sons who collect, but youve reminded me that in the loft i have the entire 6 volume set of Weapons of War, all in their binders, looks like a dusty filled afternoon for me and hopefully without falling through the ceiling

Excellent find. You appear to have the entire 1st edition of 'Purnell's History of the Second World War' printed in 1966. The 2nd edition was slightly different in it's content and the binders are different too, slightly smaller and sometimes plastic coated so check before you buy. The 2nd edition can be distinguished by a black and white picture of a Geman soldier, arms outstretched at the moment he is shot, in the top left corner of each cover. They were printed in 1970.

The editor in chief was Basil Liddell-Hart, and he ensured that this series was, and still is considered today, the finest partwork ever produced on the subject. Indeed, the entire volumes are regularly consulted by students at RMA Sandhurst and many senior universities carry them too.

I recently saw a fully bound set for sale for £200 and considered buying it. Single copies can go for between £1.50-£3.50, so you've got a great deal. Nice one, the best ever and all for 3 quid, binders might be hard to find, but try approaching your local uni, they often have reasonably priced binding services or know where to get it done at a reasonable price, well worth doing in this case I think.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

very nice steve that is a brilliant addition

tom

SteveT, Great find at an even greater price ! I have a full set in binders (1st issue 1966) presently in the loft, the only place big enough to store them !
    Prost ! Steve.

Congrats! A very nice pick up

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Steve theyv'e got to have been worth a fiver for charity you tight wad !!!!

Nice score !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks all

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Steve theyv'e got to have been worth a fiver for charity you tight wad !!!!
    I did think about bartering for at least 3 milliseconds but even I ain't that tight Well.........not all the time anyway

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast