MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010

Article about: by navyman Hello yuengling325, Some interesting finds you have there, I would encourage your friend to look out for anything else. As for the Kris, I've been offered them in the past but dec

?

Default House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010

Hi All,
    I have a buddy who just started a side business performing house cleanouts. I asked him to keep an eye out for any military items as I would be interested in buying them. Well, he called me this weekend with the following items to offer. Of course, I purchased the lot.

It consists of 2 USAAF pilot's life preservers, a Type A-14 pilot’s oxygen mask, 2 of the containers the O2 mask came in, a mystery dagger from Japan and what I believe is a Czech Mauser bayo.

I'll post the dagger and bayo on the blade forum to see if anyone can ID them.

Also, I question whether or not the containers for the O2 mask are correct. The research I did online shows the mask coming in a box, but I of course could be mistaken. If anyone can enlighten me on this, I would appreciate it.

Well, enjoy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010   House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010  

House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010   House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010  

House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010  

?

Default Re: House Cleanout Finds - 7/3/2010

Hi yuengling 325 very nice stuff the vest are Navy from 1954 and 56. The one O2 mask is WWII and the other 2 are from the 50's. Very nice Gary

?

Hi as a Newbie Ive been itching to help some one!!The wavy bladed knife is an Indian or Eastern Kris. The Kris is a weapon and spiritual object from Thailand, Burma, etc.They are said to have a character which could be good or evil.If you want to know which you must sleep with it under your pillow and the spirit will visit in a dream.Good dream = good spirit, bad dream = bad spirit!! BUT what is a bad Kris for one person may be a good Kris for another!!!

?

Sorry Mate, put Indian above and meant Indonisan DERRR

?

Thanks, Gary. I knew the vests were Navy (not sure why I wrote USAAF - too much celebrating on the 4th is my only excuse!) and were from 54 and 56 from the date stampings. With regards to the O2 mask, would the 4-44 marking represent the date (1944)?

The canisters are empty, however would the Type A-14 typically be stored in these style canisters, or were they used to store another model O2 mask?

?

Thanks for the info, Lew! I assume then this is most likely a decorative piece....

I'll probably pass on placing it under my pillow...With my luck, I'd wind up stabbing myself in the neck!

?

Well they were worn and used daily.Some were used for execution.They were also handed down generation to generation.I thinkl in Java it was law to have one in the home and no man between 12 and 80 was to venture out with out one!!!(Some hav a straight blade incidently).Yours looks a nice example.Sort of attractive but functionable.That may have been some ones most valued possesion once to say nothing of its mystical power!!!

?

Yuengling yes 4-44 is the date on the mask. As for the O2 cans they are the first ones I have seen . But I like them they look cool . Gary

?

Thanks again, Gary!

I just spoke with a friend who is into Aviation items and he said the canisters are for the MS22001 O2 Mask. Ashame the canisters weren't complete with the masks. They still do look cool, though!

Hello yuengling325,
    Some interesting finds you have there, I would encourage your friend to look out for anything else.
    As for the Kris, I've been offered them in the past but declined. It's just too much of a risk.........I was born on Friday 13th during a thunderstorm!
    All best,
    Guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast