Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese finds in my Dad's items

Article about: I found what I believe to be a set of dog tags and what I believe is a Japanese personal flag that they had signed by family and friends for good luck. Dad fought with USMC 4th Division A-1-

Default Japanese finds in my Dad's items

I found what I believe to be a set of dog tags and what I believe is a Japanese personal flag that they had signed by family and friends for good luck. Dad fought with USMC 4th Division A-1-24 on Kwajalein/Roi Namur, Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima as a rifleman.

I would love to verify these and see if anyone can translate what's on them.

Japanese finds in my Dad's itemsJapanese finds in my Dad's itemsJapanese finds in my Dad's items

Paul Jackson
    PJAviation@comcast.net

Welcome to the forum.
    Both look like reproduction items to me but I am not an expert. The tags do not look correct and the writing on the flag as well as the flag construction does not look correct. Other with more knowledge will come along and correct me if I am wrong.
    John

They are not reproductions they were directly from my father who fought on the islands and these are some of several mementos he kept.

?

These flags are Seabee creations, and are almost identical to your flag. Please wait for further opinions.

Japanese finds in my Dad's itemsJapanese finds in my Dad's items

?

Flip the flag and re-take photo like visor did.

MAP
    ?

Looks like a Seabee creation to me as well. Could be wrong so wait for more opinions.

Son of an IM: in case you are not familiar with the Sea Bee's. They were the Navy construction battalions that build the airstrips, and such after the Marines secured an island. They are well known for "making" these flags to see as souvenirs to soldiers. In a way they are collectible in their own right and to many are a true piece of history. I'm on my cell phone so can't search but there are a few threads on this forum with photos of them making these flags.

Let's see what others say
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What about the Dog Tag? Any thoughts? It is beyond my experience.
    John

MAP
    ?

No idea. It's got an anchor on it. Don't think it's a dog tag. Wife's not home to translate the Kanji. Equipment tag? No idea.

Give it a bit. Others who specialize will be around.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I think it is a Japanese name plate to be displayed at....Japanese finds in my Dad's itemsJapanese finds in my Dad's items

MAP
    ?

Dimensions of the tag would be good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast