Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kar98k Receiver

Article about: Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like a receiver from a typical Kar98k? Another thing that my great-uncle gave me, remnant of the Lapland War. Would electrolysis be the best way to clean the s

mpw
    ?

Nice relic you have and worthy of a little cleaning. Just as an example here is a before and after of one I cleaned for an on going relic restoration. First I sprayed everything in a good releasing oil letting it soak over night then removed loose material using a brass wire brush. To clean thoroughly you will have to remove the rear site and bolt release catch which will require some form of heat.
    Before you attempt to rotate the rear site assembly take note that it originally was held in place with a tiny screw and silver soldered in position. Your barrel appears to have been cut off just in-front of the assembly so perhaps this dislodged it. You will be amazed what survives under that rust. Cleaning this example revealed the MOD 98 mark and serial numbers.
    Good luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	881349

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	881348

Rgd's, Mark.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Good point - it could be a late-war one, although it's difficult to tell from the photo. The identification point is the rear or the cocking piece : early-production ones were rebated, whereas later examples weren't......
    I'll try to look for it .

Quote by mpw View Post
    Nice relic you have and worthy of a little cleaning. Just as an example here is a before and after of one I cleaned for an on going relic restoration. First I sprayed everything in a good releasing oil letting it soak over night then removed loose material using a brass wire brush. To clean thoroughly you will have to remove the rear site and bolt release catch which will require some form of heat.
    Before you attempt to rotate the rear site assembly take note that it originally was held in place with a tiny screw and silver soldered in position. Your barrel appears to have been cut off just in-front of the assembly so perhaps this dislodged it. You will be amazed what survives under that rust. Cleaning this example revealed the MOD 98 mark and serial numbers.
    Good luck!

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	881349

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	881348

Rgd's, Mark.
    Thanks! I'll surely make a note of what you said when cleaning it. I'm hopeful for it to look quite preserved as the rust looks mostly like surface rust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12