Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Latest Finds - Including a Brigadier General Grouping

Article about: Great acqusitions friend. The album is a jewel. The Generals grouping is just marvelous.

?

Default Latest Finds - Including a Brigadier General Grouping

Hi All,
    It's been almost three months since I've shared my latest finds. I've had some pretty good luck lately and thought I would share them with forum.

First up, my wife and I visited my favorite foraging ground, Adamstown, PA, back in June. While there, we stopped in a small consignment shop, as I guess occasionally she needs to go into places she likes...go figure!

In any case, while in there we were having the typical small talk with the owner and she asked what brought us up this way. I mentioned I was looking for militaria. We got to talking and it turns out her uncle was a photographer in the USAAC. She said she had photos and other paperwork in storage that belonged to him, which she saved from being tossed out by her aunt. I mentioned I'd be interested in seeing the photos and we setup a time to meet, which was back in early July.

I had no idea what the photos were going to include and kept imagining all of these great photos of flight crews or bombing missions, etc. Well, to my surprise the photos are all ground related and are obviously from the Pacific theatre (whereabouts unknown). Still, I was very pleased! Some of the photos are graphic, so viewers beware!

My question for those more in the know; these obviously aren't the original photos as you can see from the second photo of the group I included. It appears they are facsimiles of some sort (I'm even inclined to say they are photos of the photos). They are definitely period as evident by the age and style of paper. Is this typical of how the Army would have cataloged the photos? Or is it possible that Patrick snapped photos of these for his personal collection?

In any case, here are photos of the entire group:

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping

Next up is a photo of our soldier as well as some personal photos not included on the contact sheets:

Name: Patrick (Pasquale) A Zilembo
    Birth Year: 1914
    Race: White, Not Yet A Citizen (White)
    Nativity State or Country: Massachusetts
    State of Residence: California
    County or City: San Joaquin
    Enlistment Date: 7 Aug 1941
    Enlistment State: California
    Enlistment City: Presidio of Monterey
    Branch: Air Corps
    Branch Code: Air Corps
    Grade: Private
    Grade Code: Private
    Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
    Source: Selective Service within 3 months of Discharge 11 punch
    Education: 3 years of high school
    Civil Occupation: Salespersons
    Marital Status: Single, without dependents
    Height: 66
    Weight: 164

Next up are documents from Patrick’s service:

These are the photos from the contact sheets (facsimiles) which I’ve cropped and enhanced the best I could with the software I have:

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping
    Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping

Finally we have some postcard/letter art. Seems as though Patrick had some artistic friends. This is a small sample and the letters date from pre-war to after the war. Patrick you will see is placed in a Conductors uniform in a few of the sketches. This is because he worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad.

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping

?

Default Re: Latest Finds - Including a Brigadier General Grouping

Next up, about two years ago, a friend of mine who sits on the board at a non-profit thrift shop informed me they performed a house clean-out of a recently deceased Navy veteran. This person was a hoarder later in life and had accumulated tons of stuff, so much that the volunteers from the shop were literally walking over piles of items to get through the house.

I went to view the items and wound up purchasing what I assumed was everything. Some items I have posted on the forum before.

Well, I now sit on the board of this thrift shop and everyone who volunteers at the shop knows of my interest in militaria, so I always get called when items come in so I get first crack at purchasing..

Because this veteran was a hoarder, the shop is still sorting through items they removed from the house. Well, back in August, I got a call and was informed they found two of his pea coats and a couple more uniforms.

This is a no frills collection to some, however it represents the 20 years of service this veteran gave to US Navy and is a grouping I am proud to be in possession of. I was unable to find much on his service history other than what I have provided below. The only thing I can assume is that he was on the Canberra while it was part of a naval blockade during the Cuban Missle Crisis.

However, maybe someone can help or direct me to where I can find additional information. I’ve tried Ancestry however there are no Navy muster rolls listing this veteran.

Needless to say, I present to you the grouping of William Whittle:

William Whittle
    Born – 13 August 1928 Philadelphia, PA
    Enlisted – 1946
    Serial # - 985 76 19
    Served on – USS Canberra
    Served in - FASRON 108
    Retired – 16 September 1966
    Died – 7 December 2009 Warminster, PA

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping

?

In late August, I was able to meet with retired Brigadier General Pasquale Macrone. I received a call from his wife, who is an acquaintance of mine, and she informed me that they would be having a yard sale where they would be including some of Pasquale’s service items. I asked if I could meet with Pasquale to interview him and have the opportunity to make an offer for the items, to which they accepted.

A little background on BG Macrone; Pasquale was drafted during the Korean War, specifically in January of 1952 and completed basic training in Fort Dix. On January 16th, 1953, Pasquale entered OCS (Officer Candidate School) at Fort Benning and upon completion made the rank of 2nd Lieutenant.

After the completion of OCS, Pasquale was in KMAG (Korean Military Advisory Group) and supported the 27th ROKA (Republic of Korea Army). He was stationed on the far east coast of South Korea just below the 38th parallel in the town of Yangyang.

After his service in Korea, Pasquale returned home and didn’t see any additional oversees service. Upon his return home he supported the 157th Infantry Brigade, 314th Mechanized.

On November 14th, 1984, Pasquale made Brigadier General and was appointed Deputy Adjutant General of the PA National Guard. During his tenure, Pasquale was responsible for the 213th ASG (Area Support Group) whose purpose was to provide logistical support for up to 30,000 troops.

It of course was a pleasure meeting with and hearing Pasquale talk about his service.

Pasquale and his wife are in the process of sorting through their attic and below are the items Pasquale parted ways with, which I am pleased to have in my collection

First up is a photo of Pasquale and I:

Next up is Pasquale holding his General Officer Dinner Dress Uniform:

Close-up of the medal rack. In order from left to right, top to bottom:

Legion of Merit; Meritorious Service; Army Commendation; Army Reserve Components Achievement

National Defense; Korean Service; Humanitarian Service; Armed Forces Reserve; UN Korean Service Medal

Pennsylvania Distinguished Service; Pennsylvania Meritorious Service; Pennsylvania Commendation; Pennsylvania MG Thomas. R. White Medal; Pennsylvania GEN Thomas. J. Stewart Medal

M1912 holster; Manufactured by Boyt, 1944

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping

Belt Buckle, Various Pins and Oak Leaf Clusters

1968 Dated Jungle Boonie Hat

General Officer Garrison Caps

Suspenders/Equipment Belt, Duffle Bag and Wound Dressing

Genesco Tropical Combat Boots, Combat Boots

Campaign Hat

Bancroft Officers Field Visor with Original Box

M1 Helmet with Mitchell Camo Cover. The shell is Korean War era, rear seam, swivel bale. The liner in the shell is Vietnam era.

Interestingly, the helmet is actually named to someone other than Pasquale. It looks like the name reads Charles Arrtf? Another little research project for me…

Spare liner; WWII manufacture, with replacement Korean War nape strap and sweatband. There is no makers mark that I could find upon initial inspection; just the number 4, however I’ll do another inspection tonight..

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General GroupingLatest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping

It has decals for the 157th Infantry Brigade. Under those decals and the repaint are what appear to be two additional decals. You can see the outline of them in the photos.

1981 Dated All Weather Coat

Colonel’s Dinner Dress Uniform. Pasquale purchased this right before making Brigadier General and only wore it on one occasion.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping   Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping  

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping   Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping  

Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping   Latest Finds -  Including a Brigadier General Grouping  

Gosh!! You did all right. Nice additions to your collection.
    Congratulations.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Wow! Amazing stuff! You should ask if Pasquale knows anything about the name in the helmet you got from him -- or if it was just a random reissue.

?

Next up is a M65 Field Jacket. Unfortunately, I am unable to read the label and cannot date the jacket. I can confirm that it is post 1971 with the addition of the heavy brass zipper. My estimate is that it is mid 70's.

It's named to a Kinsey and it appears he was in the 82nd judging by the outline of the shadow of a once present SSI. Kinsey earned the EIB and Jump Wings.

Next we have various ribbon awards spanning WWII to current. Also included is a set of LT bars by NS Meyers (sterling) and a RAF tie clip.

Various Booklets including 1941 Soldiers handbook, Soldiers Prayer Book, 1953 dated Pistols and Revolvers operators manual, 1968 dated operator's manual for the M1911A1 and finally a 1980 date Navy Drivers Handbook.

A M1915 Pickelhaube plate...unfortunately missing part of the leg.

Finally, a nicely displayed (I found it this way) WWI vet grouping consisting of a Blue Star Service Flag for Infantry, WWI Vicory Medal with 3 bars (St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Defensive Sector) and a New Jersey Victory Medal.

Unfortunately, non of the medals are named or numbered. Still, a really cool looking piece put together either by the vet himself or a family member in his honor.

?

That's all for now! I hope you enjoyed!!

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Wow! Amazing stuff! You should ask if Pasquale knows anything about the name in the helmet you got from him -- or if it was just a random reissue.
    Thanks, all, for the kind words!

Gizmo,
    I'm fairly certain it was just a random reissue, but do plan on asking Pasquale the next time I see him.

?

I have one more (or 8 I should say) item to add. The same place I purchased the M65 Field Jacket had a large assortment of canteens. It appears they purchased a large portion of a military surplus store.

In any case, most of the canteens they have are unissued; there were even covers still in the original bundles. I sorted through the 50+ they had and picked out the earliest (all from Vietnam or earlier).

This set is a nice example of the progression from the M1910 to the, to the M1956, to the M1967 to the LC-1. I'll have to go back and look for a LC-2 to complete the set.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast