Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Latest Swap Meet & Antique Store Finds

Article about: My son was on Spring Break from school, this past week, so me and him ventured out a few times to check out the local swap meets and a couple of antique stores in search of new treasures. He

Default Latest Swap Meet & Antique Store Finds

My son was on Spring Break from school, this past week, so me and him ventured out a few times to check out the local swap meets and a couple of antique stores in search of new treasures.

Here are a few photos of most of the stuff we got a great deal on and drug home.

The first few photos are of a US Civil Defense helmet, WWII ear I believe, and a pretty decent looking British MKII dated 1942. I have not had a chance to look up the markings on the shell of the MKII yet. In the photos, with the helmets, is a matched set of WWII USMCR dog tags we stumbled across.

We came across a couple of service caps, at a local swap meet. The USMC is missing the chin strap, shouldn’t be too hard to find. The other is a USN officers service cap, not in real good shape but the hat badge is worth more than what we paid for the cap. We will see what we can do to clean her up and make her right.

After the service caps is a photo of what I believe are 2 canvas rifle/shot gun carrying bags. I have no idea where these are from, what era or if they are even military. One of the photos shows the only marking on the cases, stamped into the leather of both. A "7 R and Z" are stamped inside a triangle. The markings inside the lower triangle are just too small to read, the top marking might be the number 10 or 40. I’m going to post several photos of these, on a different thread, later, in hopes that someone can help to identify these.

Last photos are of a WWII vintage US Signal Corps EE-8-A. I’ve been looking for one of these for some time. Not real hard to find if you want one with leather that is in horrible condition or if you want to pay an arm and a leg for one in good condition. This one is pretty decent, the leather shoulder strap is still in one piece as is the rest of the case. We have another, much newer, EE-8-B that I think we are going to use to try and get the pair working. My kid wants to set them up on either end of his military display so kids can try them out them.

Got a couple other odds and ends for cheep, a US civilian gas mask, a couple of pins etc.

Hope you enjoy,

Russ & Son

Default Re: Latest Swap Meet & Antique Store Finds

The helmet marked 'GSW - DP&H' is WWII Canadian.

The initials stand for 'General Steel Wares' and
    'Department of Pensions and Health'.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the info Steve, just saved me a mess of digging. Any ideas on the gun cases/bags? I'm going to put those in their own thread, hopefully someone will have some info on them.

Russ

I'm guessing they are a civilian type and not made for the military.
    Still good for a take-down shotgun or rifle though.............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice finds.
    It is great you and your son enjoy the same hobby. In years to come it will be many good memories.
    SteveR