Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Leather jerkin

Article about: got this recently, I dont think it's ww2 but does anyone know it's date roughly? I bought it with some other RAF stuff from the early 50's.... there is no sizing or label or any signs of one

Default Leather jerkin

got this recently, I dont think it's ww2 but does anyone know it's date roughly? I bought it with some other RAF stuff from the early 50's....

there is no sizing or label or any signs of one being fitted, it is a 42" condition is very good indeed.

Default Re: Leather jerkin

These jerkins were used widely by the British Army in both WW1 and WW2.

The good condition makes me think WW2. After the war, a lot of these were sold unissued as surplus. Labels are usually present.

Not quite sure...but is the lining blue or khaki (color blind)? I've never seen one with a blue lining, but it may be that the RAF used the jerkin with an RAF lining.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Looks like two different jerkins? As Pat says, both types issued to Army and RAF, RAF ones having the blue serge lining later in WW2 & post-war. They would have once had labels on the inside of them giving the usual details. The wartime ones are leather and post war they were manufactured from a a faux leather material and are quite different in texture. The buttons on the top example are a replacement, the originals would have been a fair bit larger and brown in colour.

The purpose behind them was for personnel in trades that would otherwise get rather mucky such as aircraft fitters and riggers, RASC drivers and the like, hence the popularity of the jerkins post-war as surplus items.

If it's/they are leather then a good chance they are WW2. Quite desirable, especially in an unmothed and pretty good condition. The buttons can be replaced. I am out of touch on prices but if a decent large size and leather then I would think around £40-60 would be reasonable possibly more, less if the post-WW2 faux-leather.

No it's the same jerkin, top photo has been autofixed as it was a bit overexposed, the lining is a dark grey possibly with a bit of blue in it, it's definately leather as there a couple of Vsmall scuffs.
    The button holes seem different from some others I have seen in that they are just plain slits with no reinforcing inside or out, there looks ike there has been some slight mothing on the lining but not much, the leather is still very supple.
    the middle photo from the back has the most accurate colour of the lining.
    Last edited by stefano34; 08-06-2011 at 09:58 PM.