Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Look what mother had in the cupboard!

Article about: Gents, for your information, the German military manual/book shown/posted by Mart has been posted and discussed in the Imperial forum, here :- http://warrelics.eu/forum/imperial-g...49/#post

Default Look what mother had in the cupboard!

Hi Guys - probably posted in the wrong area but your help / advice needed.
    Having a German mother and English father has always led to interesting historical discussions - anyway a quick chat with my mother a few days ago resulted in my german grandmothers MutterKreuz (siver for her four siblings),a Berlin Olympics enamel badge which was my grandfathers after attending,a rather interesting German officers instruction manual from the Great War (a great uncles I believe).The real downer to all this was my German grandfather worked on power lines throo the war supplying and reconnecting major industrial sites with electricity through out Europe for these efforts he was given a personally signed copy of Mein Kampf with associated bust of Adolf and fotos of the handover between Hitler and my Grandfather - unfortunately mum sold this in the 90's to a 'collector' We do have back in our German home numerous personal fotos of rallies that my Grandfather attended so I am in the process of my Cousin emailing these to me.
    On the flip side of this my father then produced an Officers eagle shoulder badge given to him from the officer who was POW'd near to the Warmwell Aerodrome and working as a field party. Also a few old mess tins which his father use to clean his motorcycle chains in and an American bayonet retrieved after the war at one of the Army Dumps near Warmwell. Finally he produced a Soldat Buch of unknown origons!!
    I will upload fotos later when my computing skills are a little more proficient!

Cheers Martin.

Default Re: Look what mother had in the cupboard!

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum! Nice family history and I look forwards to seeing the items.

There is a pinned link to how to post pics in the tech advice forum.

Cheers, Ade.

Cheers for getting back so quick Ade.
    Will get on the Advice Forum immediately. The great war instruction manual really intrigues me as I use to 'play soldiers' with it when I was a lad!!! but have never seen anything like it before.

Cheers Mart.

?

Hi Martin and welcome from me too.
    I look forward to seeing your items, these are always so much better with family history attached to them, especially that you can relate to.
    Please post the Mutterkreuz in the Third Reich Decorations forum when you get the chance.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The start of the piccies...... my apologies I will post these in the correct threads a little later.
    Cheers Mart
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Look what mother had in the cupboard!   Look what mother had in the cupboard!  

Look what mother had in the cupboard!   Look what mother had in the cupboard!  

Look what mother had in the cupboard!  

welcome, your collection is very nice because it came from your family, that really makes it extra nice.

Thats very true , I will never seperate these few items because of family links. Incidentally I really got the ball rolling as my Godfather was a UK Sub Leuitenant in the Africa campaign and I still have his pips and Sam Brown to boot!! With regards to the Soldat Buch wich avenues / links can I utilise to establish whether the Soldier survived or had unfortunately perished???
    Cheers Mart.

?

Quote by bartman6996 View Post
    Thats very true , I will never seperate these few items because of family links. Incidentally I really got the ball rolling as my Godfather was a UK Sub Leuitenant in the Africa campaign and I still have his pips and Sam Brown to boot!! With regards to the Soldat Buch wich avenues / links can I utilise to establish whether the Soldier survived or had unfortunately perished???
    Cheers Mart.
    Hi Mart

Some very nice stuff there mate.

Just a quick question ref: your GodFather, do you mean he was a second lieutenant? Because the reference to "pips and sam browne" infer Army, whereas SUB Lieutenant was/is a NAVAL rank. (No offence meant/intended)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Mart, the cross: this is just a normal Christian cruifix. Not a Mothers Cross. Or do you have this yet to show?

Good original Luftwaffe breast eagle for an enlisted man/NCO and 1936 Olympic Games badge.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ian,

My apologies Second Lieutenant!! Absolutely no offence taken as this is all very new to me.

Cheers Mart.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast