Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Model 1822 sword with history

Article about: Was at a local antique show and a lady brought this sword in to be appraised. Well an expert gave her a price and I told her before he appraised it I would be interested in buying it . Well

?

Default Model 1822 sword with history

Was at a local antique show and a lady brought this sword in to be appraised. Well an expert gave her a price and I told her before he appraised it I would be interested in buying it . Well after the appraisal I saw her and she told me what they appraised it for and I offered to buy it again . She took my number down and said she would call me because it actually belonged to her brother. A few days later I got a call from the brother and now its mine.Now the fun part to research Capt. Ruggles. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model 1822 sword with history   Model 1822 sword with history  

Model 1822 sword with history   Model 1822 sword with history  

Model 1822 sword with history   Model 1822 sword with history  

Model 1822 sword with history  

Very Cool! Good luck with your research!!!

?

Well that didn't take long Captain Ruggles was part of the guard for Lafayette in June of 1825 that came through this area.
    Last edited by RH1941; 01-25-2018 at 08:24 PM.

That's a great find. You have an historic sword linked to a known individual. I would think the more information you can add to who this Captain Ruggles was, can only enhance it's value. Did the seller had any family connection to Ruggles?

?

Sadly no this sword and another were given to his father years ago. I've been reading up on the Lafayette tour from 1824 1825 it's been pretty neat to read this history that I did not know about prior to finding the sword. Gary

?

Waterloo NY is where Capt. lemuel W. Ruggles led A procession of Calvary that greeted lafayette
    Last edited by RH1941; 01-28-2018 at 10:12 PM.

?

More research it turns out Ruggles was district attorney in Waterloo NY in 1818 and was appointed to that position by Governor Dewitt Clinton