Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Hi Svenn, it was actually at the printers last week. As soon as I have the price I will post.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thats great news Ade!! Looking forward to seeing it

Here are some pictures of the trailer the norwegian defence museum has at their storage house. A nice unmolested type 1, mk 1! It even has what I believe is an original canvas cover. I will do another trip and take meassurments.

They said they also have another one in another storage house.

An electrical issue from the pictures. What is the purpose for the grounding wire on the rear connector and on the backside of the bracket for the switch? Original?

Cheers

Svenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

I was wondering if anyone had ever noticed the spare tyre mounted to the outside front wall of one of the Mark I trailers that was used at Arnehm? Shot attached from the German archives if it will work.

I experimented with this since I have a third wheel for my trailer. The front leg post would not be able to move up for towing if the tyre is mounted this way. Yet the trailer in the photograph appears to be parked fairly level so possibly it has the rear leg post down and is resting on that one. Also the two centre hooks on the body for the cavas tarp ropes would need to be removed to allow the tyre to lay flat against the wall.

?

Never seen a spare tire modification like that before! Great pic though..

Any news on the manual Ade?

Svenn

?

Hello guys.

I found the chassisnumber stamped into my type 2 trailer... Anyone seen this before?

Cheers

svenn

Hi Guys- Paul in the USA here. I am very excited to find this discussion. my Mk1 trailer is scheduled to be delivered today!!! A few questions if I might:
    1. any news on that manual? It might answer a lot of questions!
    2. where would I find the maker data plate and chassis number? I would like to try to figure out the original WD X number ... thanks in advance for your help!

?

My data plete is riveted on the towing bar on the right side, near the body.

?

Hi- The dataplate should be on side of the front eyelet member. It is attached on type 2 trailers with four screws, not sure for the type 1. I found the serial number stamped into the same member just in front of the plate. It is very light stamped into the steel so you will need to wire brush down to clean steel to see it it is there.

Good luck, and welcome to the joy of british trailers

Svenn

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Svenn, it was actually at the printers last week. As soon as I have the price I will post.

Cheers, Ade.
    Is there an update to this. Or how does one purchase a copy?
    Best Regards
    Paul

?

Hi staff here,
    just been catching up with the threads concerning the manual for the GS Trailer could I also purchase a copy please when it becomes availiable. Also does any one out there have any info., pictures or data on the airborne field kitchen based on similar airborne trailer components. We have restored the one we recovered from Breda in Holland now but we would like to know what the tilt cover looks like. We have a sketch from the previous owner to the best of her memory but naturally an original shot would be more help to have a replacment made. unfortunatly the original cover had rotted out some years before and had been disposed of. Any help at all would be welcome. Many thanks all.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast