Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

?

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Hi John, nice to hear from you via the forum, haven't had time to work on the generator I bought form you yet as I am working on a saw bench that I have aquired since I saw you. I took some pictures of the generator before it went into storage so if you email me on [email protected] I will send you some pictures for you to post as I'm not sure how to do it. For those interested this is the 5kw generator which is quite low in siloette and runs 110V equipment, not to be confused with the 6kw version which is almost at max height for glider deployment and runs 240V equimpment.

Regards Louis

?

?

Here any interesting pictures from internet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Nic pictures Radek!!

Heres another one from Gardermoen outside of Oslo.

svenn

Quote by svenn View Post
    Nic pictures Radek!!

Heres another one from Gardermoen outside of Oslo.

svenn
    Hi ,

its nice pictures airborne working troops, my friend have this trailer on second picture "Coventry Climax" Murex welding equipmet,

Higgins

?

Hello Guys.

I have an ongoing discussion on the Norwegian MV forum about rims on the british airborne trailers. It seems to me that combat rims (almost same type as on the jeeps) were issued late in the production and no No1 (type1) trailers were issued with this type of rims. But what about No2(type 2) trailers? In the parts manual type 2 is shown with rims with "holes"/spokes. My theory is that No2 were in the start issued with spoke rims and later in the production combat rims were issued. From pictures of trailers, mostly post war i see no indications that type 2 had only combat rims which is also is a theory.

Any thoughts? og even better, documentation? Do anyone have ww2 pictures of type 2 trailers? There is very few pictures from the war of this type.

Svenn

Hi Svenn,

think main problem with airportable trailers - no much peoples have interest for trailers.

I see only few wartime pictures.

I dont understand why british trailers rims was on six nuts and similar size rims on jeep was on five nuts?!

This all airportable trailers is only for jeep, and on picrures airborne units jeeps is trailer tyres on front side jeep.

Higgins

?

This trailer looks like MkII
    ATTACH=CONFIG]174639[/ATTACH]

On the front bumpers airborne jeeps are jeeps spare wheals no trailers. Only five studs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Yes..I agree on that it is strange they did not use rims with 5 holes like the jeep. A theory may be that the trailer at first was made from civilian british car parts, as the Hartford shock absorbers , T-sign, brake details and so on. At some stage they realized the advantage of having combat rims. But due to use of parts allready on many trailers, such as brake drums with 6 holes it would be expensive and timetaking to change the specifications.

Does anyone know of other vehicles using the same parts as these trailers? It would be interresting to know if these rims were used on other vehicles. For now we know of:

' Shock Absorbers
    ' Brake "cylinders"
    ' T-sign
    ' Rear lamps
    ' Bakelite switch
    ' Bakelite connection box
    ' Flood lamp

These are all parts found on other vehicles.

What about: brake drums, brake linings, rims, spindles?
    Does anyone know of a british classic car forum we could post these question? It would shed light upon this, and perhaps give us new sources for parts.

And, have anyone compared the combat rim halfs with jeep rims, are they simular except from the 5/6 holes?

Svenn

?

I will check the civilian rims on our Austin cars.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast