Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Here is one. Has been in a shed for the last 10 years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Hi Ade how are you & Les?
    I joined today, I've been meaning to join for ages. I'm very interested in the thread on airborne trailers and have researched them at some length, just like Rob VM. The trailers where designed at Amsbury Airborne Development Workshops run of course by REME and there is a comprehensive record of the types designed and built. I notice a few fantasy trailers are around and I don't intend to comment on thir provenance.
    I'm just finishing a restoration of a 10cwt binned steres trailer from a rotted chassis, I hope to finish it soon, I've had lots of help from several members and a chap who has an unrestored store trailer. As I'm new to the forum I'll try to attach some photos.
    Regards
    Tiffy (Staff)

Hi Tiify, long time no see. We have missed Beltring this past two years due to my Mum's ill health. But she is on the mend now.

I look forwards to seeing the stores trailer.

Cheers, Ade & Lez.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello, I'm new to the forum - I have an english Airborn trailer (maybe) - (missing many parts - but a little at a time ...) is ugly, but I really like - I would have many questions to ask your attention, and if you send me to hell ... I understand you - I have followed the forum and saw that you are very experienced ... I hope that your contribution -

- Can you help me to understand the brand, year of production, etc. ...
    - I read that there are two types: 1 and 2 - what are the differences? how to recognize them? how to understand the year of production?
    - there is a manual, a book that explains, showing, the details , serial numbers, ecc.. of the trailer?
    - As you can see my wheels have 5 holes - not 6 – are jeep wheels tires with original ww2 military - 3 S - good year - the hubs are still OD - is perhaps a change?
    - what tools were inside the trailer?
    - and belts, how many? (2.3, ...?) Their length? and what were they for?

I know, I'm asking too many questions, I apologize, but ... I do not know who and where to turn - I hope in your compassion and clemency -
    Thank you for any help you can give me -
    (Sorry my bad english)

Greetings
    Gabriele

Some photos :

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hi Gabriele, your English is fine! Welcome to the forum!

I think may of your questions are already answered in this thread.

I like the body of your trailer very much.

I have never seen this maker's data plate before? Could we see the whole chassis please?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Good to see another 10cwt. trailer that is going to be restored. The brake drum you show is missing two studs. These British trailers had 6 bstus easy clean wheels. I see that you show a split rim jeep wheel, if your trailer came with two of them and you have no use for them you should get around £100 each for them. If you need any pictures of the brake set up or anything else to help you in restoring your trailer please ask, if you look in the airborne section you will see my latest project, an airborne 100 gal. water bowser trailer, good luck, John.

My 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerHope these pictures will be useful to you and anyone else restoring one of these. John.

?

Quote by YORK94 View Post
    Sorry for the inconvenience - it is the power went out and the computer ... hopefully it will not happen again -

Ade, John, thank you for your responses and pictures - soon as I can, I'll go check, hoping to find the chassis number -
    But .. where is it? near the data plate? or ... where?

still have questions.

No idea on my data plate (10 CWT Trailer MK1 CONT. N ° S 2559)?

From the published table from you, my trailer should have been built by:
    "Orme Evans to contracts S663 and S2559 with WD X4939020 census numbers - 4940455 and 5274487 to 5278086."
    is that correct? have any news on the year of production? or it can be deduced only from chassis number?

Some information about the size, length, width of the straps? have any image on the buckle?

The floor was always built with 12 wooden slats? Do you have the measurements?

Again sorry for my questions -

Cheers
    Gabriel

Hi Gabriel, see post 139 in this thread as it shows the wooden slats used for the floor and the standard 1 inch webbing straps. You will just have to estimate the length of the straps. Easy to estimate the wood size going by the ribs which form the sides of the trailer. The buckle is the British Army "quick release Buckle". Sorry I don't have a pic to hand.

You are correct on the contract details. The serial number is the chassis number. The theoretical WD census X number for your trailer would be X5276989.

Date of contract: I don't know. Best guess? 1943????

Cheers, Ade.

?

Here is my floor and I will take measures of the straps for you.
    My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast