Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

I would strongly suspect this is a post war Norwegian modification. I have never seen it in wartime photos of the British 1st Airborne Div in Norway in 1945. I have never found any mention of this in my research at the UK National Archives where I have investigated many of the files about Airborne Jeeps, trailers and Parabikes.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Aha.that explaines it! Then its definatly a norwegian mod... Do you have a close up picture of the conector bracket on the left side of the towing bar frame? I can just spot that you have it on yours. Mine is cut away.

Svenn

Hi Svenn, sorry I don't have any other pics, so I have tried to enlarge the one I posted. Not great I know. I will try and take one for you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Further back Ade. Not the loop. You can see it on the picture of Radeks trailer.

Some other questions:

1: were the support legs different on different trailers. I have two types on mine. The leg is the same dimmensions and lengtht, also the plate at the bottom, but the holes for the locking pin is not at the same heights.. I believe they are both original.

2: How many taillights were the trailers fitted with. The illustrated parts list claims two, but old ww2 pictures shows only one at the right hand side.

I would love to have any pictures of the setup of original wiring, lights, connectors and so on. Please email me at:

s-kjetry@online.no

Cheers

Svenn

Hi Svenn, sorry I misunderstood you.

There are several types of trailer support legs. It is possible it came off another type of trailer. (There were of course two types of legs used on A/B trailers.)

During the war NO tail light were fitted. The only light is the blackout axle floodlight which shines onto the white painted plate fitted to the axle.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi thanks for the reply. About taillights, is this picture post war? Perhaps a factory show off picture?

Does anyone know of a source for the T-sign? Or could someone post the dimmensions and perhaps a close up picture of the reflectors making the T? Thanks

Svenn

Hi Svenn, no this is not a tail light. It is an electrical socket to enable a second trailer to the plugged it when tandem towing. Look at my trailer and you will see it too.

My trailer has an original "T" plate. I will take some pics for you.

I do know of friends here in the UK who have made repros in the past. I don't know if they have any left.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Aha,, the picture had me fooled there! Thanks again for the info Ade. On type 2 this socket were fitted in the rear frame.

Heres a pic of it from another trailer in norway:

On my trailer these holes are at some point welded up, but they are clearly there.

From what you are saying, I understand the setup on the trailer on this link is not correct? British WWII Airborne Jeep Trailer

Do you know where the light switch and connection box were fitted on type 2 when lights were fitted?

I am about to start restoring my type 2. It was sold from the norwegian army back in 1966 for 250NOK - aprx 22GBP. The owner stored it in a barn with lots of dry grass over it for several years, and it was found when the new owners of the farm cleaned up the barn. A guy bought it, and stored it for some years, and I bought it from him again. There is in fact no serious rust or damage on it. It has it original dataplate and serial 1695 / WD number: 6209875.

Some pics of the T-sign, and dimmensions on the T and reflectors would be great. If I can not get hold of a T-sign, repro or original, I hope and believe I can get hold of som reflectors and make it my self. The backing plate is still on my trailer, but no reflectors.

Cheers

Svenn

?

Hi again Ade. I am not convinced that no trailers had taillamp mounted before after the war. Take a look at this photo, from Sola Airport in Norway, just after the liberation of Norway. It certainly looks more like a taillamp than a connector. No chain, and too "fat" as well.

I also thinks it looks more like a lamp on this picture as well, since its too "fat" again, and no chain. But more uncertain on this one.

And why would they ever mount the connector on the side there? It would require a long cable to reach the center on the next trailer where the front connector is. And in right turns this cable would probably be so long that it would hit the ground, and in left turns perhaps strecth? Just my two cent.

Svenn

Hi Svenn, thanks for the pics.

David in the USA is a friend of mine. In fact, I sent him a lot of "new old stock" parts which he used on his trailer and Jeep. However, some things he put in the wrong place! ( Sadly, I cannot get these parts now before you ask

Here is a pic of the "T" plate.

Overall size of plate 7 x 8 inches.

Height of letter "T" 6 inches.

Width of letter "T" 5 inches.

Width of letter T 1.5 inches.

Diameter of reflectors 7/8ths of an inch.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast