Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Hi Radek, they are nice pics from the 1950's which I had not seen before. Thanks for sharing them!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Guys , I have only joined the forum 2 nite as I landed on the airborne trailer search. It may be of some interest to you all but I own 6 different british airborne trailers, namely the 15cwt cargo Mk 1, 100 gallon water bowser, compressor, 6Kw generator, Murex welder and a very rare field kitchen. I have done an enormous amount of research on these types & hope I can be of some help to you all. Best regards STAFF

ww2peter
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Kjell, welcome to the forum!

Your trailer was also made in 1944 under the same contract as mine.

Very nice find! They are getting much harder to discover these days.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade,

I have one WWII Airborne Trailer to, with original plate with nr. 13587 , X6213027, if Its ready from restoration I will sent the pictures, can you tell me from with date this trailer Is.

Thanks,Peter.

Hi Peter, I will have to double check with my list which is packed away. But off hand I would say it will be 1945 given the high WD census number.

I look forwards to seeing some pics. Great to hear another one is going to be restored.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Peter, finally had chance to dig out my files.

Your trailer was made by SS Cars Ltd under contract "S8055". the contract was placed on 9/11/1944.

WD census numbers for this contract were X6210181 to X6225182.

Cheers, Ade.

ww2peter
    ?

Hello,

and here It Is, picture form the Market Garden tour 2009.

P-Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

Hi Peter, looks great!

I was over in Arnhem for a week for 65th.

Cheers, Ade.

ww2peter
    ?

Hello folks,

Here one trailer ( T ) Plate for sale, look at E-bay nr.140350242770, thanks, Peter.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

Hi again folks.

I have started tear down on my type 2 trailer. I have discovered some more details, some certain, and some more uncertain..

It seems like axle, springs, shock absorbers and brake backing plates has original been painted black, and not green. I also found remains of Hartford markings on my shock absorbers:

Almost like this one (sligthly differenet- mine is marked "pat....." betwwen Hartford - shock

These prints are available, and also brake and shock absorber details at:

spares | andre hartford shock absorber | Vintage Car Parts

Now trying to make out the positions on the hooks for the canvas in the front and rear.

Svenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1944 British Airborne trailer   My 1944 British Airborne trailer  

?

I have in fact 99% determined where the hooks for the canvas goes on my type 2. All the hooks were grinded away but remains tells my where they go I have seen many different versions for the rear and front hooks. I will post pictures after having them remounted.

What I would like some more info about is the set up for the cable at the front. I looks like there were a spare connector mounted on the right side for mounting the cable and connector when not in use? Any info on this guys? And what is the metal loop on the same side for??

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast